- Clinical Associate Professor, Surgery - (Clinical Series Track)
Andrew H. Rice, DPM, FACFAS, is a podiatric surgeon with the University of Arizona Department of Surgery and is co-director of the Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance (SALSA) within the department’s Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. He has more than 30 years of experience in teaching medical students and surgical residents, helping new physicians start careers in limb preservation, conducting clinical research, and remaining actively involved in academia while running a clinical practice.
Dr. Rice received his doctorate in podiatric medicine (DPM) from the Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine in Philadelphia, PA. He then completed residency in basic and advanced surgery with a focus on limb salvage at Yale School of Medicine (YSM)/Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Center, where he played an integral role in establishing the university’s first podiatric residency training in vascular surgery and limb preservation. He has earned board certification in foot and ankle surgery, with additional certifications in hyperbaric medicine and osteotripsey. He is also an alumnus of the AO Foundation, or ASIF.
Shortly after entering private practice, Dr. Rice began his career in academia in 1994 at the Des Moines College of Podiatric Medicine Department of Podiatric Surgery. He then went on to become a clinical instructor, then clinical assistant professor, with the Yale School of Medicine Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation as well as the director of the YSM Diabetic Foot Center. In 2010, he was also appointed site director for the USM podiatric residency program in reconstructive foot and ankle surgery. During his time at Yale, Dr. Rice simultaneously created and directed the Diabetic Foot Center at the Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine Center for Norwalk Hospital.
In addition to his clinical experience, Dr. Rice has extensively participated in research. He has served as the primary investigator (PI) for a dozen clinical trials within the field of limb preservation, biologics, and wound care. He has also published multiple manuscripts in industry journal publications and two textbook chapters.
Dr. Rice is on the editorial boards of Vascular Surgery and Podiatry Today. He is a member of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons and the American Podiatric Medical Association. He has been recognized as a Top Doctor by Connecticut Magazine ten times.
He focuses his practice on Limb Preservation- amputation prevention; Infection care; foot deformities, foot dermatology bunions, hammertoes, sports medicine, plantar fasciitis; running injuries; skin and nail disorders; Clinical Research related to diabetes and wound care.
- D.P.M. Podiatric Medicine
- Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- B.S. Biology
- University of Hartford,, West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
- University of Vermont College of Medicine, Department of Surgery (2016 - 2018)
- Northeast Medical Group, Yale Critical Limb Ischemia/Limb Preservation Clinic, Cardiovascular Center, Yale University School of Medicine (2015 - 2018)
- Critical Limb Ischemia/Limb Preservation Center, Cardiovascular Clinic, Yale University School of Medicine (2015 - 2018)
- Diabetic Foot Clinic, Yale Medical Group, Yale University School of Medicine (2011 - 2018)
- Diabetic Foot Center, Norwalk Hospital (2004 - 2008)
- Yale University, School of Medicine, Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation (2003 - 2018)
- Yale New Haven Hospital, Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation (2003 - 2018)
- Yale University, Norwalk Hospital (2003 - 2018)
- Yale Physicians Medical Group, Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, Diabetic Foot Clinic (2003 - 2014)
- Stamford Hospital (2002 - 2018)
- Norwalk Healthsouth Surgical Center (2002 - 2003)
- Norwalk Hospital, Section of Podiatry, Department of Surgery (1992 - 2018)
- Norwalk Hospital, Department of Surgery (1987 - 2018)
- Fairfield County Foot Surgeons, PC, (1987 - 2018)
- Connecticut Top Doctor Connecticut Magazine
- Spring 2017
- Spring 2016
- Spring 2015
- Spring 2014
- Spring 2013
- Spring 2012
- Spring 2011
- Spring 2010
- Spring 2009
- Spring 2004
- Norwalk Hospital Physician Honoree of the Month- June
- Summer 2016
Licensure & Certification
- Podiatric Medical License, Arizona #0898, Arizona Podiatric Medical Examiners (2002)
- Podiatric Medical License, Florida #PO3284, State of Florida Board of Podiatric Medicine (2007)
- Podiatric Medical License, Connecticut #0409, Connecticut Board of Examiners in Podiatry (1987)
- Board Certified, Foot and Ankle Surgery, American Board of Podiatric Surgery (1989)
- Fellow, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (1989)
- Certified Physician, Hyperbaric Medicine (2003)
- Osteotripsey Certification, Healthtronics Corporation (2002)
High Risk Diabetic FootTissue Repair and Wound HealingReconstructive Foot SurgeryComplex Lower Extremity Infections
Reconstructive Podiatric SurgeryAmputation Prevention
No activities entered.
- Rice, A. (1990). Functional soft tissue examination and treatment by manual methods.. In The Ankle and Foot. Aspen Publications.
- Rice, A., & Pressman, M. (1988). Retrospective Study of Tendoligamentous Sling Procedure for Bunionectomy. In Current Techniques in Foot Surgery. Mosby, Inc.
- Chadaz, T., Taylor, P., Pappalardo, J. L., Rice, A., Mccurdy, W., Krupinski, E., & Taljanovic, M. (2020). Is there added value of DWI and intravenous contrast with MRI of diabetic foot infections?. Society of Skeletal Radiology., Huntington Beach, CA..More infoPeer-reviewed
- Rice, A., & Russell, S. (2016). A Closer Look at an Emerging Plating System for First MPJ Arthrodesis. Podiatry Today, HMP Communications, 29(3).
- Rice, A., & Edgar, S. (2014). A Closer Watch of Transdermal Compounds in the Treatment of Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Podiatry Today, HMP Communications, 27(2), 20-22.
- Rice, A., & Mathews, E. (2011). Pertinent Insights On Biologic Matrices For Soft Tissue Repair. Podiatry Today, HMP Communications, 24(6), 52 - 56.
- Kier, R., Abrahamian, H., Caminear, D., Eterno, R., Feldman, A., Abrahamsen, T., Davis, D., & Rice, A. (2010). MR Arthrography of the Second and Third Metatarsal Phalangeal Joint for the Detection of Tears of the Flexor Plate and Joint Capsule. American Journal of Roentgenology, 194(4), 1079-1081.
- Rice, A. (2010). How to Address Hypertrophic Scars and Keloids (Feature Article). Podiatry Today, 23(1), 44-50,.
- Rice, A. (2009). Keeping Patients in Your Practice; A New Paradigm for Treating Infection. Podiatry Today, 22(12), 66-67.
- Rice, A. (2020, April). Angiosomes and Biologics. Vascular Surgery Didactic Conference. College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona: University of Arizona Department of Surgery.More info4/24/2020
- Rice, A. (2020, August). Limb Preservation Team 2020. Department of Surgery Grand Rounds. Tucson, Arizona: University of Arizona.More info8/19/2020
- Rice, A. (2020, February). Diabetic Limb Preservation. 2020 Winter Medical Conference (42nd Annual. Telluride, Colorado: Tucson Hospitals Medical Education Program.More infoFebruary 20, 2020.
- Rice, A. (2019, November). Biologics in Reconstructive Foot Surgery and Limb Salvage. International Foot and Ankle Conference. New York, New York: Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine.
- Taljanovic, M., Krupinski, E., Mccurdy, W., Rice, A., Pappalardo, J., Taylor, P., & Chadaz, T. (2020, April). IS THERE ADDED VALUE OF DWI AND INTRAVENOUS CONTRAST WITH MRI OF DIABETIC FOOT INFECTIONS?. Society of Skeletal Radiology. Huntington Beach, CA.
- Rice, A. (2014). Launch Ecoza. Region 3 New York Podiatric Medical Conference. New York: Quinnova Pharmaceuticals.
- Rice, A. (2012). Wound Management. Region 3 New York Podiatric Medical Conference. New York: Quinnova Pharmaceuticals.
- Rice, A. (2011). Xerosis Phase 4 Trial Quinnova Pharmaceuticals. Region 3 New York Podiatric Medical Conference. New York.
- Rice, A. (2009). Hypertrophic Scars and Keloids. 2009 APMA National - The Western Podiatric Congress. Pfizer Product Theatre- Lyrica: American Podiatric Medical Association.
- Rice, A. (2008). Breakfast Symposium Speaker- Retaining Your Patient-Use of Infusion Therapy in the Podiatric Surgical Practice. 2008 APMA NationalAmerican Podiatric Medical Association.
- Rice, A. (2007). Workshop Chair and Speaker. Region 3 Ossatron Osteotripsey. 2007 Midwest Chicago.
- Rice, A. (1988, May). Lisfranc’s Joint Fusion with External Fixation, A Case Study and Literature Review. American College of Foot Surgeons Annual Meeting. Boston, MA.
- Rice, A. (1987, May). Mucopolysaccharide Storage Disease and Associated Flatfoot Deformities. American College of Foot surgeons.
- Rice, A. (2014). Amniotic Grafts for Diabetic Foot Wounds. WTNH TV.
- Rice, A. (2014). Limb Preservation Team. Health Talk- Channel 12.
- Rice, A. (2012). Exciting Advances in Diabetic Limb Preservation. Health Talk- Channel 12.
- Rice, A. (2011). Ossatron Treatment for Heel Pain. Health Talk- Channel 12.
- Rice, A. (2007). Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. National Television CNBC.
- Rice, A. (2004). New Innovations in Health Pain Treatment. Health Talk- Channel 12.
- Rice, A. (2003). Recent Advances in Foot Health. Health Talk- Channel 12.
- Rice, A. (2000). Recent Advances in Foot Health. Health Talk- Channel 12.
- Rice, A. (1988). Recent Advances in Foot Health. Health Talk- Channel 12.