Carrol M Mclaughlin
- Professor, Music
Dr. McLaughlin has toured extensively as a soloist throughout Europe, Asia, and the Americas. The Canadian-born harpist holds the degrees of M.M. from the Juilliard School and Doctor of Musical Arts from the University of Arizona, where she was Teaching Assistant to Susann McDonald. She also studied extensively in England with Russian harpist Maria Korchinska. Dr. McLaughlin became the head of the harp department at the University of Arizona in 1982, and in 1994 was the recipient of the UA Five Star Faculty Teaching Award for Excellence. She has performed highly successful debut recitals in Carnegie Hall, New York, and Wigmore Hall, London, and has performed extensively as concerto soloist with orchestras throughout the US, Japan, Russia, Canada and South America. Carrol is on the Board of Directors of the World Harp Congress and recently was awarded a Fulbright Senior Specialist Award which allowed her to teach at the Cairo Conservatory for a month and give recitals in the Cairo Opera House and the Library at Alexandria. Her new book, Power Performance has received international acclaim, as it helps performers to overcome stage fright and perform without stress. She is the Director of Harp Fusion, the U. of A. harp ensemble who have performed in Japan, Russia, Switzerland ,Puerto Rico, Korea, China, Brazil, Mexico and the Czech Republic.
- More Information on Carrol McLaughlin
- More information on the String Area
- HarpFusion web site
- The University of Arizona
- The Juilliard School
- University of Michigan
- Interim Associate Director, School of Music and Dance, The University of Arizona (1998 - Ongoing)
- Professor of Harp, The University of Arizona (1994 - Ongoing)
- Special Assistant to Dean Maurice Sevigny, The University of Arizona (1992 - Ongoing)
- Associate Professor with Tenure, The University of Arizona (1988 - Ongoing)
- Professor of Harp, California State University, Los Angeles (1981 - Ongoing)
- "Most Influential Harpists of 20th Century" inclusion
- Fall 1999
- International Travel Grant
- Summer 1999
- Mortar Board Outstanding Educator Award
- Fall 1998
- Arizona Arts Award Finalist
- Spring 1998
- Mortar Board Senior Honor Society citation for outstanding teaching.
- Spring 1998
- Nomination for Regents Professorship
- Spring 1998
- Fall 1997
- James Anthony Sustained Excellence in Teaching Award
- Summer 1997
- James R. Anthony Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching
- Spring 1997
- Nomination: Governors Arts Award
- Spring 1997
- SAI Distinguished Lifetime Achievement Award
- Spring 2011
- Fulbright Senior Specialist
- Fall 2009
- Spring 2008
- Distinguished Professorship
- Spring 2009
- Fulbright Senior Specialist Award
- Spring 2008
- Phyllis and Henry Koffler Award in Teaching
- Spring 2008
- University Distinuished Professor
- Spring 2008
- AstroBiology and the Arts
- Fall 2007
- Faculty/Student Interaction Program
- Fall 2007
- Egyptian Fulbrite Student attends UA
- Spring 2006
- Fine Arts Research and Professional Development Incentive Grant
- Spring 2006
- School of Music Travel Grant
- Spring 2006
- American Indian Arts & Culture Conservancy Recognition Award
- Fall 2005
- Performance for World Harp Congress
- Summer 2005
- CFA Committee on Excellence and School of Music
- Spring 2005
- Foreign Travel Grant
- Spring 2005
- Spring 2004
- Fall 2001
- Spring 2000
- Graduate and Professional Education Teaching and Mentoring Award
- Spring 2005
- Great Northern Arapajo Nation Recognition Award
- Spring 2005
- Leicester & Kathryn Sherrill Creative Teaching Award
- Spring 2005
- Out of State Travel Award
- Spring 2005
- Travel Grant
- Fall 2004
- Donation of New Concert Harp to UA
- Spring 2004
- Fine Arts Research and Prof. Development Incentive Grant
- Spring 2004
- Focused Excellence Award
- Spring 2004
- Deans Fund For Excellence
- Fall 2003
- Student/Faculty Interaction Grant
- Summer 2003
- College of Fine Arts "Above and Beyond" award
- Spring 2003
- Governors Arts Award (finalist)
- Spring 2003
- U of A Alumni Association Extraordinary Faculty Award
- Fall 2002
- from Vice Pres. Janet Bingham
- Fall 2002
- Board of Directors, World Harp Congress
- Fall 2001
- CFA Small Grants Program & Deans Fund for Excellence
- Fall 2001
- Faculty/ Student Interaction Grant
- Spring 2001
- Dean's Fund for Excellence
- Spring 2000
- Regents Professorship and Distinguished Professorship Nomination
- Spring 2000
- School of Music
- Spring 2000
No activities entered.
Coached EnsembleMUS 201 (Spring 2017)
Coached EnsembleMUS 401 (Spring 2017)
Coached EnsembleMUS 501 (Spring 2017)
Doctoral RecitalsMUS 925 (Spring 2017)
Master's RecitalMUS 915 (Spring 2017)
Music Individual StudiesMUSI 181 (Spring 2017)
Music Individual StudiesMUSI 182 (Spring 2017)
Music Individual StudiesMUSI 185 (Spring 2017)
Music Individual StudiesMUSI 285 (Spring 2017)
Music Individual StudiesMUSI 385 (Spring 2017)
Music Individual StudiesMUSI 485 (Spring 2017)
Music Individual StudiesMUSI 585 (Spring 2017)
Music Individual StudiesMUSI 785 (Spring 2017)
Senior Capstone:RecitalMUS 498 (Spring 2017)
Small Conducted EnsembleMUS 502 (Spring 2017)
Coached EnsembleMUS 201 (Fall 2016)
Coached EnsembleMUS 401 (Fall 2016)
Coached EnsembleMUS 501 (Fall 2016)
Doctoral RecitalsMUS 925 (Fall 2016)
HarpMUSI 181H (Fall 2016)
HarpMUSI 182H (Fall 2016)
HarpMUSI 185H (Fall 2016)
HarpMUSI 285H (Fall 2016)
HarpMUSI 485H (Fall 2016)
HarpMUSI 685H (Fall 2016)
HarpMUSI 785H (Fall 2016)
Independent StudyMUS 699 (Fall 2016)
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2014). I Am Wonderful Method for Harp. Vanderbilt Music Publishing.More infoThis is a new method book for the harp. UA students were involved in the research and composing, and students in the children's harpchoir also composed pieces for inclusion.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2014). Manifest Moment To Moment. USA: Hay House.More infoThis book was published in the spring, and is available in every English Speaking country in the world. It looks at the energy and positive thought processes that allow you to attain whatever you truly desire, from a spectacular musical performance to optimum job opportunities. Supporting the launch of this book there were hundreds of hours spent with: PR experts,Editors, Social Media, and I gave approximately 75 live interviews with radio, TV, magazines, etc. The most notable was a solo 2 hour appearance on the international radio broadcast, "Coast To Coast" with an estimated 2 million people listening from around the world. This outreach is invaluable to the School of Music and our University since it highlighted my research on Sound and Healing, particularly the UMC research grant.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2014). You Are Wonderful Method Book For The Harp. Vanderbilt Music Publishing.More infoThis is a method book for early harp study that focuses on positive learning skills. I wrote the music over the last 4 years as I did research with young students at St Pauls United Methodist Church in Tucson. Part of the underlying principle is incorporating the joy of performing without the traditional accompanying stress. Towards that end, the students played in concert every 8 weeks, performing their music in ensemble (I wrote the pieces so they could be layered together for performances.) Vanderbilt Music has agreed to publish a second book containing more advanced ensemble repertoire. Those pieces have been written but not edited for publication yet.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2013). Manifest Moment To Moment. Hay House Books.More infoThis book is being distributed in every English Speaking country in the world. It combines concepts and phylosophies that I have studied for years, including Neuro Linguistic Programming, Visualization Techniques, Performance Excellence, and the Power of Music and Sound for Healing and Behavioral Change.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2012). Book. Hay House.More infoTejpal
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2008). Book Publication. IntegrityInk.US.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1998). Sabbatical project: completed book on use on Neuro Linguistic Programming for preparation for excellence on stage. Working title, "Certainly You Can", a performer's guide to reaching your highest potential..
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2001). Neuro Linguistic Programming and the Ellimination of Stage Fright. The Harp Column, 4.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2000). The Art of Successful Memorization. The Harp Column.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1998). Use of Neuro Linguistic Programming in Practice and Performance.. American Harp Society Journal (invited article) Use of NLP in performance and Teaching.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2012, Spring). Neuro Linguistic Programming and the Power of Intent. Careers in Music class, School of Music. School of Music.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2011, Fall). Retrain Your Brain. All day Workshop. Tucson.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2011, Fall). The Energy of Creative Achievement. Level III Workshop. Tucson.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2011, Summer). Advanced Concepts of Intentional Achievement. Level II Workshop. Tucson.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2010, Spring). Workshop on Creativity and Intuition. One Day Workshop. San Francisco CA.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2009, Spring). Power Performance Lecture. Two hour lecture. Tucson.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2009, Spring). Power Performance lecture for Piano Area. Lecture. Holsclaw Hall.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2007, June 4 - 11). Northwestern Louisiana State Univeristy Summer Harp Program. Guest artist: Solo Recital, workshops, private lessons. Nacatachious, LA.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2007, May 16). UA Distinguished Lecture Series. "The Harp: An Ancient Instrument As A Vehicle For Innovative Creativity". Arizona Inn.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2006, July 2). The Art Of Ensemble Performance. American Harp Society National Convention. San Francisco, CA.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2006, July 5). Neuro Linguistic Programming. American Harp Society National Convention. San Francisco, CA.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2004, Oct. 28). Lecture/ performance. U of A Humanities Dept.. Campus.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2002, Jan 16). Neuro Linguistic Programming to elliminate stage fright and improve learning. Camarata, U of A. School of Music.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2000, Aug. 6 - 15). Three lectures and Two Solo Recitals. CIMAS...Center for Integrated Medicing, San Juan, Puerto Rico. San Juan Puerto Rico.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2000, Sept 16). Neuro Linguistic Programming and It's Uses in Performance Environments. Dr. Andrew Weill's Alternative Medicine National Symposium. Tucson.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2000, Spring). Neuro Linguistic Programming and Its Effect Upon Learning Music Faster and Performing Without Stress. Organ Guild of Arizona. Trinity Presbyterian Church.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1999, Feb. 15). School concert(solo harp). Magee Middle School.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1999, July 15). Opening Lecture. Neuro Linguistic Programming and its application to alleviating Stage Fright. World Harp Congress, Prague Czech Republic.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1998, 3 sessions over the semester). Neuro Linguistic Programming Workshops/ study sessions. School of Music, for 8 "trainers in training". School of Music.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1998, April 1, April 29). Two Virtual Master Classes, televised live to ASU and also transmitted to NAU. Interactive TV. U of A.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1998, April 29). Neuro Linguistic Programming and Professionalism. Teaching Music in Higher Education Class ( for John Fitch). School of Music.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1998, Feb. 16). Organized Alice Conway from George Washington Univ, Washington DC to come to U of A to speak to HarpStudio about career development and the expanding career options of event management as it pertains to the musician.. Harp Studio and I also invited the local Harp Society. School of Music.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1998, July 10 - 18). Harp at Umbria Jazz. Italy. Performances and teaching. Umbria Jazz Festival, Italy. Perugia, Italy.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1998, March 4). Arranged master class for harp studio with Czech harpist Catherina Eglichova.. Master Class, (guest artist). Holsclaw Hall.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1998, May 4). Organized a workshop with Jeff Jenssen, Mental Coach of UA Athletics to work with the harpists in the studio.. Master class. School of Music.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1997, April 13). Performance Practices and Preparation for Stage Presentations. Harp performance master class. Boston, MA.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1997, April 28). Performance Practices and Concert Preparation. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1997, April 29). Harp Master Class and Performance Workshop. Performance Workshop. Pittsburgh PA.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1997, Aug. 20 - 25). Solo harp recital. Opening recital at International Festival, Japan. Fukui, Japan.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1997, Dec. 13). Performance Excellence with use of NLP. NLP workshop on Performance Excellence. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1997, Feb. 12). Methods of Preparation and Memorization for Optimum Performance. Harp Master Class. Lyon & Healy Co, Chicago.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1997, Feb. 24). Neuro Linguistic Programming and its' applications for teaching the general music student. Symposium on Music in Education. Tucson.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (1997, March 15). The Harpist ON TOUR! A Look at the real world of a professional touring harpist. Harp Master Class and performance. Community college, Rexburg, Idaho.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2013. Allume, Flute and Harp CD. Recorded with Brian Luce. USA: Albany Records.More infoAllume is a flute and harp recording which includes five pieces originally composed by me, including the title track.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2015, June - Decembr). Harp and Healing Research. Miraval Health Spa, Tucson.More infoEach month I averaged 18 individual healings with harp, 3 lectures and a 4-hour workshop for healthcare workers and clients. This experience with Miraval has offered invaluable insights and been enhanced by the guidance and knowledge gained from the professional medical and healing experts at the center.
- Mclaughlin, C. M., & Stanislow (Israel), S. (2015, October). The Healing Power of the Harp. Phoenix Therapeutic Harp Association.More infoSunita Stanislow is doing work in a Children's hospital in Israel. She presented on her work, and I presented on the work I had done at Miraval and in California. The audience was the Phoenix Therapeutic Harp Association. A one-day event.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2013, Dec 25- Jan 2). Music Healing at Miraval.More infoMusic Healing lectures, demonstrations and private sessions including "Soul Song Healing" recordings for individual patients. This internship was extremely well received by international clientele and an additional day was added to the original timetable. This was co-ordinated with Andrew Weill Institute and doctors from the UA, and used techniques and concepts developed in our research study of the summer 2013 where I played for patients at UMC who had just returned to the Intensive Care Unit after open-heart and lung surgeries.
- Mclaughlin, C. M. (2013, Dec 6). Harp and Healing demonstrations.More infoThese are one-on-one sessions with Doctors, Health Professionals such as from the UA Cancer Center, and private patients demonstrating the benefits of music healing with the harp. Dates of sessions include:Dec 6, 2013Nov 4 & 8, 2013
- Growing Together; Original composition; harp ensemble; September 2015
- The Swan; Harp ensemble and cello ensemble; September 2015; I arranged this piece so the cellos and harpists attending the Weekend for Strings could share one piece in the concert. We also featured this piece in all our HarpFusion Christmas concerts. It was a wonderful co-creative experience with Ted Buchholz; the cello studion had a competition (that I was a judge for) to see which cellists would be the soloists at the HarpFusion concerts.
- Waltz of the Snowflake Flowers; Harp Ensemble; September 2015; Written for the Weekend for Strings concert; also performed with HarpFusion in our Christmas concerts this year.
- Vital Optimism; Duo Harp; October; Commissioned Work. I world premiered this with my daughter Kelly on second harp, Sept 11.
- "Divine Inspiration"; October; Commissioned Work. World Premiered St Paul's United Methodist Church Tucson
- "Hush of Prayer"; Flute and harp; October; Commissioned and world premiered at St. Paul's UMC, Sept. 20 2009
- Lifted By Angels; October; Commissioned and world premiered at St. Paul's United MEthodist Church on Sept. 10th;also performed in Crowder Hall on Faculty Recital. Brian Luce was the flutist.
- "Wondrous Love"; Harp Ensemble; October; Commissioned by St Pauls United Methodist Church and world premiered Feb 12 by their HarpChoir which I direct.
- O Carinho do Cristo; October; Commissioned by St Pauls United Methodist Church. World Premiered by me May 8, with a Brazilian Premiere (by me) May 24th in Rio De Janeiro.
- The Journey; October; Commissioned by and World Premiered at St. Paul's United Methodist Church. The narrator was a UA Freshman harpist, Mary Fogarty and the words depict her successfully overcoming cancer at age 12.
- May the Christmas Spirit Surround You; Children's chorus and harp ensemble; October; Commissioned composition. World Premiered Dec 9 (I performed with the ensemble.)
- Sing Unto The Lord; soprano and harp; October; Commissioned composition. World premiered in Tucson with UA vocalist Shana Thomas.
- Liberian Celebration; African Drums and 3 harps; October; Commissioned for and World Premiered for the visit of the Liberian Minister of Culture. Oct. 26, 2008
- "I Will Find My Way "; 2 harps; October; Commissioned work. A theme and variations, inspired by a melody I heard in Russia during the summer. World Premiered with my daughter, Kelly Harris.
- "Angels Among Us"; Harp Ensemble, Childrens Choir; October; Commissioned work. World Premiered Dec 9 at St Pauls UMC
- The Power Of Belief; Harp Ensemble; October; Commissioned work. World Premiered October 23.
- "Exhuberance"; Five Harps; October; Commissioned work. World Premiered St Pauls UMC November 18
- "Transcend"; Soprano and Harp; October; Commissioned work. World Premiered at St Paul's UMC Tucson
- I Lift Up My Hand; October; Commissioned work. World Premiered in Tucson, Sept. 9
- Parade of Christmas Joy; October; Commissioned work. World Premiered with HarpFusion and the St Paul's Childrens HarpChoir, Tucson, Dec 11.
- Chrysalis; Dance Performance; October; I created a new piece of choreography for graduating senior, Nadia Ali, as Nadia's senior capstone project. The choreography was inspired by a classical composition by Sergio Assad for two guitars and cello. This piece was performed as part of the UA Dance season on the Three's a Crowd Concert, November 12, 13, 14 (four performances).
- Power Performance; print; October; I have been working on this for the past 5 years. It is a performance manual, involving Neuro Linguistic Programming and techniques to perform better and elliminate stage fright. It is thrilling to have it completed, and I am submitting it for publication.
- "Immanuel"; flute quartet and harp; October; Performed January 2007 with Brian Luce and 3 graduate flute students; I played harp. Commissioned composition.
- Book - "Moment To Moment Creativity"; Book; October; The book is half completed. A publisher is interested and is reviewing the manuscript (by invitation.)
- Chrysalis, Crying Love, Silver City; October; These pieces were written for recording or performances by StarFire (my performance group which will be touring Japan) or with harp ensemble.
- CD Harp On Tour; October; This featured pieces that we have performed in Russia, Indonesia, China, Korea, Japan, Puerto Rico, Spain, etc. Excellent recording and a worthwhile recruiting tool. This was a two-year project.
- "The Best Gift"; Compact Disk; October; This involved: *arranging new material and coaching students on new arrangements and compositions *Organing all recording schedules. We could only fit 7 harps into the studio at a time and 16 harpists took part. *recording...myself and the students all served as producers and recording engineers. The students were involved in all aspects of the project. * artwork design. Our photographer was from Japan so the logistics involved were very demanding. * copyright clearances * mastering and editing *contacting every Tucson radion station and NPR (we recieved excellent coverage!) *record signing at Borders * numerous concerts to advertise the album * mailing of CD Jacket postcard to 400 friends of the harp program, and handling the resulting orders
- Starring HarpFusion: 25th Anniversary Spectacular; October; This is by far the most demanding and exceptional achievement of my career. The DVD took 3 years to complete, and there was pressure to complete it for the 25th anniversary of HarpFusion this year. WE were successful in this and showed it for the first time to the public in November. In order to complete the product, 67 harpists plus myself (all U of A), participated. We took film crews to Moscow and Japan. WE used footage from Indonesia,Japan, Switzerland (World Harp Congress in Geneva), and around the US including San Francisco, San Jose, CA; the Grand Canyon (we rented a helicopter);and numerous locations near Tucson. As an educational capstone experience for my students, this was extraordinary. Students participated in every single part of the project, from location scouting to writing and recording the arrangements, to costume design, to public relations, to film editing, assemblage,fundraising,producing....every element.
- Two original compositions, "Temple of Knossis" and "Snake Priestess Dance"; one for solo harp, one for Harp Ensemble; October; This music was written at the request of John Wilson. It will be performed as part of John's farewell dance area performance in April, and also at a College Gala in the Art Museum in January. The music had to be composed to specific guidelines and also recorded so the dancers could rehearse.
- Lir I Lir; HarpFusion and Percussion; October; This piece, based on a Javanese Folk Melody, was written to be performed and filmed in Indonesia on HarpFusion's concert tour to Jakarta. It has been performed on all HarpFusion concerts in preparation for the delayed tour.
- Take Five, Paul Desmond; October; This project included collaboration with Russell Gloyd, Dave Brubeck's arranger & director.
- Harp On Tour HarpFusion CD; October; This term I invested approximately 40 hours to recording our newest CD, Harp on Tour. This serves as an excellent educational opportunity: our students decide on content, write the music, perform, and serve as producers and editers for the project. I am executive producer, arranger, performer, and everything else.
- Veni Creator Spiritus; October; This was based on a Benedictine chant. It was written for a benefit concert HarpFusion gave for the Benedictine Monastery in Tucson.
- "The Gift of Life"; duo harp; October; This was co-written with a student who flies down from Utah for lessons. She underwent a serious transplant surgery and we wrote this piece together, and participated together in the world premiere, as a theraputic excercise for her to participate in a creative endeavor. It was hugely successful.
- Angel's Tap Dance; October; This was for 11 young harpists and members of HarpFusion. Performed at St. Paul's United Methodist Church.
- Masmoudi For The Pharoah; HarpEnsemble and Percussion; October; This was performed on our HarpFusion concerts in Tucson, Chicago and Salt Lake City. It will be recorded next term and filmed for our upcoming DVD.
- Peace; October; UA Pianist Brent Burmeister and I world Premiered this commissioned work, St Pauls United Methodist Church, Nov. 27.
- The Stained Glass Window; Harp Ensemble; October; World Premiered Aug 31 at ST. Paul's United Methodist Church with combined harp ensembles.
- Silent and Holy Is The Night; October; World Premiered Dec 10 and commissioned by St. Paul's United Methodist Church. Four of my compositions this term have been recorded and all of this year's original compositions are being published by MAO Publishing, Kansas City.
- Jus' Passing Thru; October; World Premiered October 8th. Commissioned by St. Paul's United Methodist Church.
- "Joyful Explosion"; Harp Ensemble; October; World Premiered September 12, 2010
- Traditions; Commissioned Composition; October; World Premiered at St. Paul's United Methodist Church. Also performed at Casas Adobes Cong. Church in December. With Margi Zearley, director of the Sonoran Bells and UA Freshman harp major Alexandria Mackelprang.
- Pange Lingua; Solo Harp Composition; October; World Premiered in Tucson October 10 and the following week in Japan by McLaughlin.
- 1000 Pieces of Joy; Harp Ensemble; October; World Premiered with 25 harpists at Hong Kong Harp Festival. The music has been published by IntegrityInk.US, in fact it is available online so the Asian Harpists were able to purchase it online and download the music, so as to be prepared for rehearsals when I arrived.
- "Make Me An Instrument Of Thy Peace"; Soprano and Harp; October; World Premiered with Lucik Aprahamian November 14th.
- "For the Love Of A Daughter"; October; World premiered and commissioned by St Pauls UMC Tucson, Dec 6 2009.
- Soka City Friendship Song; Harp Quartet; October; World premiered at the Soka City International Festival, Soka City Japan. Performed by myself, UA graduate Hiroko Saito and her Tokyo based harp trio.
- World Celebration Rag; Harp Ensemble, Flute ensemble, Media; October; Written for the Crowder Hall HarpFusion "Takin' On The World" concert, October 18th. This was the final piece, with 15 pedal harps, 13 celtic harps, 14 flutists and multimedia.
- For The Good Of The World; choir and harp; October; commissioned work. World premiered in Tucson. Co-written with Wayne Nelson
- I recorded an original flute and harps piece written for us by Japanese composer Sakata.Recorded in Japan.; Yamaha Records, Japan; October; Flute Message From Yoko II
- Nata Waltz; Tchaikowsky; October; HarpFusion recording and Video filming in Russia; This was a fascinating project: the piece was arranged by Tatyana Shapiro. We recorded the music in the UA Recording studio then we took a film crew with us when we went to Moscow and did a music video in Red Square in front of the Kremlin. This will be one cut on a DVD being prepared for HarpFusion's 25 year anniversary.
- Piece: Adagio from Pathetique Sonata, Beethoven; October; HarpFusion recording; In preparation for a DVD release to celebrate HarpFusion's 25 year anniversary
- An Arizona Christmas with HarpFusion; November 2011; CD Recording HarpFusion; This CD was the most demanding CD Project I have ever undertaken. All the music was written or arranged by a HarpFusion member. The cover artwork was done by students. The harpists were not just the harpists in the recording studio but also produced, arranged, did copyright searches, etc. Virtually all the elements they need to know to do their own professional CD's outside of the school setting. Hundreds of hours were involved in this project.There were 45 harpists on one of the pieces, plus horns, percussion, etc. The mixing and editing of the project extended several weeks beyond the estimated time, making it quite stressful to have it pressed in time for Christmas. We did make it on time and the Christmas response to the new album was outstanding.
- Masmoudi For The Pharoah, Pachelbel Canon in D, and Take Five; MAO Publishers, Kansas City; March; 3 pieces for harp ensemble: Masmoudi For the Pharoah is an original composition. These pieces were selected by the American Harp Society to be the pieces used in the 2006 National Conference in California, for a workshop on Playing in Ensembles. The distribution is international.
- DVD Filming: HarpFusion 25th anniversary DVD; March; April 27: one-day shoot at Madiera Park , Arizona May 11: one-day shoot at Agua Caliente Park, TucsonMay 19: one-day shoot at San Jose, CAAdditional hours over the semeste assembling slides, editing footage, etc. , approximately 200 hours (to 300)
- Metakuye Oyasin; Native American Flute and Harp Ensemble; March; Co-composed with Tom WarCloud, Native American Flutist who played concerts with HarpFusion in Arizona and Madrid, Spain
- "Thailand Melody" composition; Harp Ensemble; March; Commissioned and world Premiered at St. Paul's United Methodist Church
- Father Of Light; Harp Ensemble; March; Commissioned by St Paul's United Methodist Church. World Premiered Jan 30 (I performed it with the St Pauls UMC HarpChoir of which I am director)
- Welcome to My World; Harp Duo; March; Commissioned by St Pauls UMChurch. World Premiered March 13 by UA Masters Candidate Kate Zurcher and her sister, UA Alumni 2008 Emily Zurcher.
- Hallowed Be Thy Name; March; Commissioned by St. Paul's United Methodist Church and world premiered Jan 8, 2006.
- Tears Of Heaven; March; Commissioned by and World Premiered at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, Tucson, April 9
- Spontaneous Excellence; Commissioned Composition; March; Commissioned by and world Premiered at St. Paul's United Methodist Church
- Christus Factus; Soprano and harp; March; Commissioned by and world premiered at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, Tucson.I also performed it at the Cafe De Valle International Festival in Brazil,(I played in both performances.)
- Word Of God; March; Commissioned by and world premiered at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, Tucson
- Celebrate!; March; Commissioned by, and world premiered at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, Feb 19, 2006
- Inspiration; Choir, Bell Choir and Harps; March; Commissioned composition. World Premiered Feb. 11, 2007
- The Ballance; Alto saxophone and two harps; March; Commissioned work. World Premiered in Tucson (I performed with my daughter on second harp.) May 6
- Sunshine and Daffodils; March; Commissioned work. World premiered in Tucson April 22, 2007
- The Eternal Harp; Solo Harp Music, Published; March; Commissioned work.World Premiered at Cairo Opera House, Egypt
- "The Lord Is My Shepherd" composition; Harp Ensemble; March; For small celtic harps and pedal harps. World Premiered May 10 at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, Tucson
- HarpFusion CD Recording; March; Hundreds of hours were spent with the students in the recording studio, on our new recording project. Four of my arrangements and compositions were included. All the students served in every capacity, from "punching buttons" in the control room to producing, to arranging to performing to artwork, etc.
- For The Love Of It Solo Harp CD; Guardian Records; March; I have not recorded a solo harp CD for many years, so this was a monumentous undertaking. It includes virtuosic classical music and my own jazz arrangements. The project took one year. The CD was particularly well received in the orient: Korea, China and Japan.
- "Sanctuary"; Harp Ensemble, Organ, flute ensemble; March; Performance at St. Paul's United Methodist Church. UA HarpFusion and FluteFinity. THis piece was also played for the College Music Society in Holsclaw Hall.
- StarFire music video (20 min); video; March; StarFire is a UA based group, consisting of myself on Lead Harp, Hiroko Saito (Masters candidate, harp perf.) and Bob Brudvig,marimba and drums.(DMA candidate, percussion.) This video was so successful it landed us a contract with Community Concerts to showcase in New York this August and to tour for them on the 2000 / 2001 season.
- StarFire!!; March; This CD is partially completed. It involves U of A DMA candidate Bob Brudvig, Undergrad. harpist Hiroko Saito and myself, plus some other guest musicians. It is being done for a Japanese record company. We hope to have it completed for our upcoming June tour to Japan. Contains all original material.
- Manifest Moment to Moment; Published Book; March; This book is co-authored with Tucson author Tejpal Kaur. The book includes information important for all performers, from the concert stage to a person delivering a speech in a business setting. The concepts included are Neuro Linguistic Programming, the power of Intentional Action, Personal Develpment tools, and the capacity of the individual to design their own success, a concept particularly important to a musician who must create their own career plan and then succeed at it with their intentional actions. The book is completed and has been accepted for publication by Hay House. It is in final editing and will be released in every English speaking country in the world, summer of 2013.
- 12 minute promotional video; vhs; March; This is for outreach and promotion. It includes and overview of my performing and teaching career. Included are TV and video clippings of television shows, live performances, and 8 interviews with students saying why they value their experience with the U. of A. Harp Studio. I intend to use this for student recruiting and PR purposes.Made possible by a grant from the Tucson Community Foundation.
- Cretian Suite; Harp Solo and Harp Ensemble with percussion; March; This originally created 4-movement work was requested by John Wilson to be choreographed for his final concert at the U of A. We performed it with dancers at the April 6 & 7 Premium Blend Concert in Crowder Hall. I performed the harp solo movement and HarpFusion performed the ensemble parts. The piece is about 12 minutes in duration.
- "Sunflower" composition; Composition, (Commissioned); March; This piece was inspired by my trip to Thailand to teach at Mehidon University, December 2008. The piece was originally written for Ranard, a Thailand marimba, and solo harp. It was commissioned and world premiered by me at St. Paul's United Methodist Church on February 1, 2009. The piece was then re-orchestrated for 14 harps and HarpFusion played it on their concert tour to Brazil and the concerts leading up to that trip.
- HarpFusion LIVE! The Cosmos Concert; DVD/ CD; March; This was an extremely demanding project. We videotaped the performance. Then we went into the recording studio about 75 hours and re-created the music, matching the finger movements and tempos perfectly. Then we added film footage of the universe, etc. which had been shown at the concert and edited it all together. The final product was on October 24, 2007. Fundraising and grant writing was also involved.
- I Am Wonderful Method for Harp; Music: solo and ensemble; March; This was my sabbatical project. I have written a beginning harp method, which I have tested with the St. Paul's United Methodist Harp Program, actually a program set up to assist in the development of my method. I have written approximately 200 pieces and 25 ensemble pieces for young harpists in their first 3 years of study. One of the guiding principles was to give the young harpists experience performing on stage without the fear factor of being a soloist. Therefor, many of the solo pieces can be layered with other, more advanced solos and together they form an ensemble piece. This means the student can perform "their piece" with the comfort of (in the case at St. Paul's) 12 or 13 other harpists. This has proved very successful. I also presented this method in Hong Kong at the First Asian Harp Festival and a number of internationally respected harp teachers have begun to use it. The method is designed to be downloadable so as to get away from the crippling stigma many students have, of being behind their colleagues and friends, in a set, published harp book. In this method, the teacher downloads the pieces at the appropriate level and the student never becomes aware that they may be spending extra time to remedy a technical or musical difficulty. This web-based access also means that the music is instantly available worldwide.
- InterGalactic Rag; Harp Ensemble and multi-media; March; This was performed in the Cosmos Concert. The harpists wore white gloves and the stage was under black lights.
- Çourtney's Voyage; March; This was the first public performance of the St. Paul's United Methodist Church children's harp choir. All the material the students learn and perform is originally written by me.I play with the students as does my daughter, Kelly Cousineau, who is in HarpFusion.
- Also Sprach Zarathustra arrangment for HarpFusion; Harp ensemble, organ, tympani, dancers,and 100 piece choir; March; This was the grande opening of the 25th anniversary concert. I was responsible for writing and choreographing this, including latin words for the text, costumes, etc.
- Child Of Peace; This was co-written with American Indian flutist/ composer Tom WarCloud. Tom was the recipient of the US 2004 Most Influencial Native American Composer Award.; March; This was world premiered at the Steinway Peace Piano concert in Tucson. It was also recorded and released on a new CD by Native American Flutist Tom WarCloud.
- "Fifty Years Of Love"; Harp Ensemble; March; This work was commissioned to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of St. Paul's United Methodist Church. Premiered at the church on February 14, 2010.
- Circle Of Light; March; World Premiere, Crowder hall Feb. 17. Recorded onto a CD, June 2003.
- "Love of Life"; Children's Harp Choir; March; World Premiered April 25.
- Harp Choir Processional; 13 harps; March; World Premiered Feb 2007
- "Transitions"; Harp, Voice, Theramin, Percussion, Flamenco Guitar; March; World Premiered January 17th 2010
- Joy In My Heart; Handbells and Harp Ensemble; March; World Premiered May 11 2008
- "All Things New"; 2 voices, 2 guitar, harp, drums; March; World Premiered May 9, 2010
- Allume; Flute and Harp; March; World Premiered and recorded for CD.
- "Joyful Praise"; 15 harp ensemble; March; World Premiered at ST. Paul's UMC, Tucson May 13, 2012
- original composition "Celestial Passage"; flute and harp; March; World premiered in Cosmos concert and recorded on Harpfusion DVD with Tom Warcloud, Native American flutist
- "Song of Angels" composition; Flute and Harp; March; Written for the UA Bookstore Festival of Books, commemorating the sand Mandala that was created for the University by a visiting Buddhist Monk. The piece was world premiered for the Venerable Lapsa Lassung and Tucson audience members in a performance at the bookstore with flutist Brian Luce on March 15th.
- Harpist; March; CD Recording Harp and Flute; This summer we recorded one additional multi-movement work to complete the project. It is ready for pressing, and an Author Support Fund Award from UA was received last year to assist with that process.
- Allume for Flute and Harp; March; CD Recording; Flute and Harp CD with Brian Luce. Included in this are 5 original compositions of mine and 3 arrangements.
- Venazolana for 5 pedal harps; March; CD Recording; This provided an extraordinary experience for the students. Alfredo Ortiz is a Los Angeles based harpist and composer. His record company wanted to feature a 5-harp composition of his on a record being released with the El Paso Symphony Orchestra. Alfredo chose to come to Tucson and record myself and four students performing the piece rather than use the LA harpists who had given the world premiere performance. It was a marvelous professional experience for our U of A harpists.
- For The Love Of It. Carrol McLaughlin, solo harp; March; Solo harp CD recording
- "Faith"; Harp Ensemble; March 2015; Original composition, World Premiered Tucson March 28. (Commissioned work)
- Charisma; Solo Harp Composition; Harp Masters Press, Switzerland; March 2014; Charisma was World Premiered in Switzerland May 12, 2013. It was also recorded in St Petersburg, Russia by the first prize winner at the 2012 St Petersburg International Harp Competition. The piece was written in her honor (I was a judge at the competition) and it is the final piece on her CD recording, sponsored by the competition. It is thrilling to hear my work performed and recorded at such a high level of excellence.
- Basin Street Blues; MAO Publishing; June
- Soulacita; World Premiered in Madrid, Spain; June; Co-written with Native American Flutist Tom WarCloud
- God Bless The Children; Harp ensemble; June; Commissiioned work. World premiered in Tucson June 17, 2007
- Angel's Wings; June; Commissioned by St Pauls United Methodist Church. World Premiered July 17.
- Burst Of Magic; Harp Ensemble; June; Commissioned work. This was world premiered with 45 harpists in the closing concert of the Arizona Harp Experience, August 18th in Tucson.
- "Unlimited Expectations"; Harp Ensemble; June; Commissioned work. World Premiered at St. Paul's UMC in Tucson with the St Paul's Harp Choir, which I direct.
- Rock of Ages; June; Commissioned work. World Premiered, Salt Lake City, July 23
- Amor De Deus; Commissioned Composition; June; Composed in Brazil with Brazilian harpist Gustavo Beaklini. Gustavo flew to Tucson for the World Premiere, July 13.
- StarFire music video; video; June; Starfire is a performance group which was started in the summer of 1998. We have done one music video and a portion of a CD. The group will be performing in Tokyo on June 13, l999 and also New Years Eve, 2000. Included are UA harpist Hiroko Saito and percussionist Bob Brudvig.I am the director as well as lead harp.
- "Paradigm"; Original composition; June; This was commissioned by, and world premiered at, the Harp Masters Festival in Zurich, Switzerland. The piece uses elements of chance, with the audience calling out the numbers of individual sections the harpists will play in order. The different combinations meant that the paradigm of the piece changed with each performence, and meant that in some ways all the parts needed to be compatible. It met with great success and was performed by me and two UA students, Kate Zurcher and Lauren Hayes, whom I took to Switzerland with me.
- Furusato/Lord Of The Dance; two harps; June; This was mentioned in "Performances". Hiroko Saito, Masters Graduate from UA several years ago, flew to Tucson to write this piece with me. We world premiered it in Tucson then played it in concert in Tokyo.
- Recorded original 20 min. composition; CD recording; June; Title of compostition, "Circle of Light". This composition has been selected to be performed at the next World Harp Congress in Dublin, Ireland in 2005.I wrote and performed the piece.
- For The Love Of Lillian; Harp Ensemble; June; World Premiered June 22, 2008 with St. Pauls United Methodist Church Harp Choir.
- Sisters Of The World; June; World Premiered in Brazil with the top Brazilian harpist, Christina Braga, who represents Brazil to the World Harp Congress.
- Love's Sanctuary; Temple of Philae; Commissioned Composition; June; World Premiered with Brian Luce and UA Masters Candidate Carolyn Lund. This piece has been recorded for CD and also published by IntegrityInk.US. It has also been arranged for flute choir and harp ensemble, performed in Crowder Hall in April 2008.
- Crux Fidelis; Harp ensemble; June 2015; Commissioned work: World Premiere Performance at St Paul's United Methodist Church Tucson
- Sound and Energy Healing; June 2014; Co-presented with co-author Tejpal
- Video Documentary of Harp Pedagogy students; June 2014; This was a video to demonstrate the pedagogical principles of the work at St Paul's United Methodist Church, in support of the publication of my method book, "I Am Wonderful" this year.
- Czardas; IntegrityInk US; June 2009; Music Published; Performed at the National FLute Association Convention in New York City.
- Lifted By Angels, original comp. for flute and harp; IntegrityInk US; June 2009; Published Music; This was featured at the 2009 National FLute Association Convention in New York, performed by Brian Luce and myself.
- Sound and Healing Research; July 2014; Two-day research in Northern Arizona studying the use of music (chant and drumming) in the Apache tradition, including a "Coming of Age" ceremony.
- Bach Sonata (Flute and Harp); January 2011; CD Tucson Tragedy Victims CD; This was a compilation of music to support victims of the shootings in Tucson. I donated with Brian Luce our recording of the Bach Sonata BWV 1033
- Surrender All; Harp and Voice; Harp ensemble and voice; February 2015
- Lullaby of Grace; April; Commissioned by St Pauls UMChurch. World Premiered April 10
- Sound Healing Research at Miraval; April 2014; 12 Sound Healings: one was video taped by a New York Television crew, for use on the Alan Steinfeld show. 3 lectures and a special presentation for the media.
- Simple Gifts; Harp Ensemble Composition; Commissioned by St Paul's United Methodist Church. Composed by Carrol McLaughlin and World Premiered Dec 8 by HarpFusion.
- I Believe In The Sun; Vocal Quartet and Harp Ensemble; Commissioned by St Paul's United Methodist Church. World Premiered Tucson, Sept 15 2013
- Ribbons From Heaven; Original composition; harp, guitar and voice; Commissioned by and World Premiered at St Paul's United Methodist Church, July 21 2013
- Distance Healing with Music and Energy work; Harp and Healing; This was one of the first times I had done Distance Energy Healing (via telephone) with the harp. It proved very successful. Feb 7 2014Note: Last year I completed 100 hours doing research with two doctors at the Intensive Care Unit of the University Medical Center, performing spontaneous healing music for 100 patients following open heart and thoracic surgery. The results were very positive and have been published. The work this year with Music and Healing, both at Miraval Resort and in sessions such as this experiment with distance healing, is to further my understanding and promote advancement in the field of Sound Healing.