Grace E Fielder
- Professor, Russian / Slavic Studies
- Ph.D. Slavic Languages and Literatures
- University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Aspect of the Russian Infinitive Complement
- M.A. Slavic Languages and Literatures
- University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States
- B.A. Russian Languages & Literatures; Russian Area Studies
- University of California at Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California, United States
- Full Professor with tenure, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (1995 - Ongoing)
- Associate Professor with tenure, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (1992 - 1995)
- Associate Professor with tenure, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (1989 - 1992)
- Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (1983 - 1989)
Licensure & Certification
- TRKI Russian Language Proficiency Testing, University of St. Petersburg & Russian Ministry of Education (2005)
No activities entered.
DissertationSLAT 920 (Spring 2018)
Independent StudyRSSS 699 (Spring 2018)
Semiotics And LanguageANTH 573 (Spring 2018)
Semiotics And LanguageENGL 573 (Spring 2018)
Semiotics And LanguageRSSS 573 (Spring 2018)
Semiotics And LanguageSLAT 573 (Spring 2018)
Adv Tps Russ Lang+LitRSSS 415 (Fall 2017)
Adv Tps Russ Lang+LitRSSS 515 (Fall 2017)
DissertationSLAT 920 (Fall 2017)
DissertationSLAT 920 (Spring 2017)
Independent StudyRSSS 599 (Spring 2017)
Independent StudyRSSS 699 (Spring 2017)
Semiotics And LanguageANTH 573 (Spring 2017)
Semiotics And LanguageENGL 573 (Spring 2017)
Semiotics And LanguageFREN 573 (Spring 2017)
Semiotics And LanguageSLAT 573 (Spring 2017)
Adv Tps Russ Lang+LitRSSS 415 (Fall 2016)
Adv Tps Russ Lang+LitRSSS 515 (Fall 2016)
DissertationSLAT 920 (Fall 2016)
Hist of Russian LanguageRSSS 583 (Fall 2016)
- Fielder, G. E., Friedman, V. A., Kramer, C. E., & Rudin, C. (2010). Bai Ganyo: incredible tales of a modern Bulgarian. University of Wisconsin Press.More infoTranslation from Bulgarian into English
- Fielder, G. E. (1993). The semantics and pragmatics of verbal categories in Bulgarian. Lewiston: Edwin Mellen Press.
- Fielder, G. E., & Catalano, T. (2017). Othering others: Right-wing populism in UK media discourse on "new" immigration. In Representing the Other in European Media Discourses. Discourse Approaches to Politics, Society and Culture.. John Benjamins.
- Fielder, G. E. (2015). Care and Maintenance of a Standard Language: Macedonian in the 21st Century. In VIII Macedonian-North American Conference on Macedonian Studies(pp 35-46). Skopje, MK: University of Cyril and Methodius.
- Fielder, G. E. (2015). Partition, Linguistic Identity and Language Standardization. In On Macedonian Matters: From the Partition and Annexation of Macedonia in 1913 to the Present(pp 185-225). München, Berlin, Leipzig, Washington D.C.: Verlag Otto Sagner.
- Fielder, G. E. (2015). Triangulations: Navigating Distance in Interaction. In Distance in Language: Grounding a Metaphor(pp 215-242). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Fielder, G. E. (2010). Ama, a Bulgarian Adversative Connective. In South Slavic Discourse Particles(pp 23-44).
- Fielder, G. E. (2008). Bulgarian Adversative Connectives: Conjunctions or Discourse Markers?. In Crosslinguistic Studies of Clause Combining: The multifunctionality of conjunctions.(pp 79-97).
- Fielder, G. E. (1990). Narrative Context and Russian Aspect. In Verbal Aspect in Discourse: Contributions to the Semantics of Time and Temporal Perspective in Slavic and Non-Slavic Languages(pp 263-284).
- Fielder, G. E. (1985). Aspect and Modality in Bulgarian Subordinate Clauses. In Scope of Slavic Aspect(pp 181-193).
- Fielder, G. E. (1985). Implicature and the Aspect of the Infinitive in Russian. In Issues in Russian Morphosyntax(pp 73-90).
- Fielder, G. E. (2015). The Konikovo Gospel and the Spatiality of Translation in the Balkans. Balkanistica, 28, 131-150.
- Fielder, G. E. (2012). Authenticity and the sociolinguistics of Macedonian. Balkanistica, 25, 33-55.
- Fielder, G. E. (2012). Lost in translation: Discourse markers in Bai Ganyo. Balkanistica, 25, 291-302.
- Fielder, G. E. (2008). Macedonian discourse markers in the Balkan Sprachbund. Sprachtypologie und Universalienforschung - STUF, 61, 120-127.
- Fielder, G. E. (2002). A Phoenix from the Ashes: The Resurrection of the Bulgarian Perfect. International Journal of Slavic Linguistics and Poetics, 44-45, 109-127.
- Fielder, G. E. (1999). Auxiliary Variation in Eastern Macedonian Dialects: A Discourse Analysis of Pehčevo Oral Narrative. Indiana Slavic Studies, 10, 57-69.
- Fielder, G. E. (1999). The Origin of Evidentiality in the Balkans: Linguistic Convergence or Conceptual Convergence?. Mediterranean Language Review, 11, 59-89.
- Fielder, G. E. (1997). The Discourse Properties of Verbal Categories in Bulgarian and Implications for Balkan Verbal Categories. Balkanistica, 10, 162-184.
- Fielder, G. E. (1996). Distance as a Prototypical Verbal Category in Bulgarian. Balkanistica, 9, 210-225.
- Fielder, G. E. (1995). Narrative Perspective and the Bulgarian L-Participle. The Slavic and East European Journal, 39, 585-600.
- Fielder, G. E. (1992). Imperfect/Aorist Coding in Negated Propositions in Bulgarian. Sapostavitelno Ezikoznanie/Sopostavitel'noe Jazykoznanie/Contrastive Linguistics, 17, 28-32.
- Fielder, G. E. (1990). Aspect and Lexical Semantics: Russian Verbs of Ability. The Slavic and East European Journal, 34, 192-207.
- Fielder, G. E. (1988). Tense Neutralization in Bulgarian, English, and Russian. Supostavitelno Ezikoznanie/Contrastive Linguistics, 13, 28-36.
- Fielder, G. E. (1984). Aspect Use of the Present Tense in Subordinate Clauses. Balkansko Ezikoznanie/Linguistique Balkanique, 27, 21-33.
- Fielder, G. E. (2015, November). Bible Translation as a Linguistic Act of Identity. In Proceedings from the Eighth Macedonian-North American Conference on Macedonian Studies.
- Fielder, G. E. (2016, Spring). Translating the untranslatable: the language of Bai Ganyo. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Congress on Bulgarian Studies, 23-26 May 2013, 89-96.
- Fielder, G. E. (2008, Spring 2008). Discourse Markers in Macedonian: Balkan or Slavic?. In VI Makedonsko- severnoamerikanska konferencija za makedonistika (Ohrid, 11.-13. VIII 2006), 27-36.
- Fielder, G. E. (2017, Spring). Takin' it to the Streets: Language Ideology in post-1989 Bulgaria. Kenneth E. Naylor Memorial Conference. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University.
- Fielder, G. E. (2016, April). Competing ideologies of language, dialect, vernacular and translation in the 19th Balkans. 20th Balkan South Slavic Conference. University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah: University of Utah.
- Fielder, G. E. (2016, August). Recalibrating norms in a standard language culture: the case of Bulgaria. International Symposium “Standard Language Ideology in the Slavic Lands.. Sapporo, Japan: Slavic-Eurasian Research Center at Hokkaido University.
- Fielder, G. E. (2016, October). Missionaries, Bible Translation and The Awakening of National Identity in the Balkans. COH Humanities Week. Tucson, Arizona: College of Humanities, University of Arizona.
- Fielder, G. E. (2015, July). "Come over into Macedonia and help us": Evidence of the Macedonian language in the first half of the 19th century. Macedonia: On the Periphery of European Modernity. Florina (Lerin), Greece: Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee (Australia), EFA-Rainbow Party (Greece).
- Fielder, G. E. (2015, March). Bulgaria's Roma. Tucson Balkan Peace Support Group. Arizona Inn: Tucson Balkan Peace Support Group.
- Fielder, G. E. (2015, November). Bible Translation Revision as a Linguistic Act of Identity. 9th Macedonia-North American Conference on Macedonian Studies. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago.
- Fielder, G. E. (2015, October). Translation Tensions in Balkan Crossings. 38th Conference of The American Literary Translators Association: Translation & Traffic. Tucson, AZ: University of Arizona/ALTA.
- Fielder, G. E. (2010. Jouko Lindstedt, Ljudmil Spasov, and Juhani Nuorluoto (eds.). The Konikovo Gospel/Кониковско евангелие: Bibl. Patr. Alex. 268(pp 123-125).
- Fielder, G. E. (2009. A Dictionary of Turkisms in Bulgarian. Institute for Comparative Research in Human Culture(pp 341-342).
- Fielder, G. E. (1998. A New Slavic Language Is Born: The Rusyn Literary Language of Slovakia(pp 347-348).
- Fielder, G. E. (1996. Studies in Macedonian Language, Literature, and Culture: Proceedings of the First North American-Macedonian Conference on Macedonian Studies, Ann Arbor, 1991(pp 905-906).