Holli A Horak
- Professor, Neurology - (Educator Scholar Track)
- The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio, United States
- University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson (2010 - Ongoing)
Licensure & Certification
- Medical License, Arizona Medical Board (2009)
No activities entered.
Neuro+Rehab Med ClerkshpNEUR 813C (Fall 2020)
Neuro+Rehab Med ClerkshpNEUR 813C (Fall 2019)
Neuro+Rehab Med ClerkshpNEUR 813C (Fall 2018)
Neuro+Rehab Med ClerkshpNEUR 813C (Fall 2017)
Neuro+Rehab Med ClerkshpNEUR 813C (Spring 2017)
Neurology Gen. Inpatient Svc.NEUR 850A (Spring 2017)
ResearchNEUR 800 (Spring 2017)
Neuro+Rehab Med ClerkshpNEUR 813C (Fall 2016)
Neuro+Rehab Med ClerkshpNEUR 813C (Spring 2016)
- Horak, H. A. (2016). Practical Neurology, 5th Edition. Chapter 31: Lippincott.
- Horak, H. A., & Mandler, R. (2016). Practical Neurology, 5th Edition. Chapter 52: Lippincott.
- Horak, H. A. (2018). Entrustable Professional Activities. Neurology, 90(7), 326-332. doi:10.1212/WNL.0000000000004947
- Merlin, L. R., Horak, H. A., Milligan, T. A., Kraakevik, J. A., & Ali, I. I. (2014). A competency-based longitudinal core curriculum in medical neuroscience. Neurology, 83(5), 456-62.More infoCurrent medical educational theory encourages the development of competency-based curricula. The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education's 6 core competencies for resident education (medical knowledge, patient care, professionalism, interpersonal and communication skills, practice-based learning, and systems-based practice) have been embraced by medical schools as the building blocks necessary for becoming a competent licensed physician. Many medical schools are therefore changing their educational approach to an integrated model in which students demonstrate incremental acquisition and mastery of all competencies as they progress through medical school. Challenges to medical schools include integration of preclinical and clinical studies as well as development of learning objectives and assessment measures for each competency. The Undergraduate Education Subcommittee (UES) of the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) assembled a group of neuroscience educators to outline a longitudinal competency-based curriculum in medical neuroscience encompassing both preclinical and clinical coursework. In development of this curriculum, the committee reviewed United States Medical Licensing Examination content outlines, Liaison Committee on Medical Education requirements, prior AAN-mandated core curricula for basic neuroscience and clinical neurology, and survey responses from educators in US medical schools. The newly recommended curriculum provides an outline of learning objectives for each of the 6 competencies, listing each learning objective in active terms. Documentation of experiences is emphasized, and assessment measures are suggested to demonstrate adequate achievement in each competency. These guidelines, widely vetted and approved by the UES membership, aspire to be both useful as a stand-alone curriculum and also provide a framework for neuroscience educators who wish to develop a more detailed focus in certain areas of study.
- Tiryaki, E., & Horak, H. A. (2014). ALS and other motor neuron diseases. Continuum (Minneapolis, Minn.), 20(5 Peripheral Nervous System Disorders), 1185-207.More infoThis review describes the most common motor neuron disease, ALS. It discusses the diagnosis and evaluation of ALS and the current understanding of its pathophysiology, including new genetic underpinnings of the disease. This article also covers other motor neuron diseases, reviews how to distinguish them from ALS, and discusses their pathophysiology.
- Horak, H. A. (2015, April). CNCD Directors Workshop. AAN Annual Meeting.
- Arumaithurai, K., Kapoor, A., Horak, H. A., Scherer, K., Arumaithurai, K., Kapoor, A., Horak, H. A., Scherer, K., Arumaithurai, K., Kapoor, A., Horak, H. A., Scherer, K., Arumaithurai, K., Kapoor, A., Horak, H. A., Scherer, K., Arumaithurai, K., Kapoor, A., Horak, H. A., & Scherer, K. (2014, October). Celiac Disease: Neurological Manifestations in 2 undiagnosed patients. AANEM Annual Meeting. Savannah, Georgia: AANEM.
Other Teaching Materials
- Horak, H. A., & Tiryaki, E. (2016. AAN EMG workshop. American Academy of Neurology.
- Horak, H. A., & Tiryaki, E. (2016. Living with ALS Resource Guide. ALS Association.More infoManual Written by ALS physicians/ care providers for patients living with ALS and their caregivers. Edited and reviewed for content.