Henrietta G Kralovec
- Professor, Teaching/Learning and Sociocultural Studies
Dr. Etta Kralovec is an award-winning Professor of Teaching, Learning and Sociocultural Studies at the University of Arizona. She holds a doctorate in philosophy from Teachers College, Columbia University, from which she received a Distinguished Alumni Award in 2018. In 2017, she received an honorary Master of Philosophy degree in Human Ecology from College of the Atlantic and in 2002, she received a distinguished alumni award from her undergraduate college, Lewis and Clark College. She was awarded a Fulbright Fellowship in 1996 to establish a teacher education program at Africa University in Zimbabwe. Working closely with student editors, they co-authored the collection, Identity in Metamorphosis: An Anthology of Writings from Zimbabwe Students.
Under Kralovec’s direction, the UA M.Ed program received over 3 million dollars in federal funds to prepare science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) teachers for Title One schools in Arizona border communities. Her program was awarded the Peter Likins Inclusive Excellence Award from the University of Arizona in 2015. She was named Distinguished Outreach Professor in 2015. The program uses equity literacy as the conceptual framework and has developed a contextualized approach to preparing critically-conscious teachers for the complex border educational environment. See: http://www.scientia.global/professor-etta-kralovec-inspiring-science-teachers-in-the-arizona-borderlands/
Kralovec’s work explores the importance of context in the preparation of teachers for schools in border communities. She has conducted comparative research on teacher education in Finland and on the Finnish/Russian border. Kralovec’s international work also includes video projects with high school students in Finland and Mexico.
In 2018, Kralovec became the Founding Director and Principal Investigator for the Bisbee Science Exploration and Research Center (BSERC). BSERC is dedicated to closing the opportunity gaps in informal STEM learning opportunities along the border and connecting the expertise at UA with border communities, by sponsoring Science Cafes and Science Friday programs for local school children. In her role as Principal Investigator for BSERC, Kralovec leads the community engagement and evaluation processes for the Bisbee Science Lab. That works includes on-going surveys, exhibit comments, and interviews.
Kralovec was named Director of the Borderlands Education Center in 2019.
- Ed.D. Philosophy
- Teachers College Columbia University, New York, New York
- John Dewey and the Ecological Perspective
- 2018 Distinguished Alumni
- Teachers College, Columbia University, Spring 2018
- Honoray M.Phil Degree in Human Ecology
- College of the Atlantic, Bar Harbor, Maine, Spring 2018
No activities entered.
Adv lntrshp Prac Tchr IITEDV 693C (Fall 2020)
Prtcpt Rsrch Mthds Prac TchrsTEDV 536 (Fall 2020)
Adv Sec Schl Intrshp Prac TchrTEDV 693B (Spring 2020)
Adv lntrnshp Prac Tchr IIITEDV 693D (Spring 2020)
Adv lntrshp Prac Tchr IITEDV 693C (Fall 2019)
Independent StudyTEDV 599 (Fall 2019)
Prtcpt Rsrch Mthds Prac TchrsTEDV 536 (Fall 2019)
Adv lntrnshp Prac Tchr IIITEDV 693D (Spring 2019)
Sec School Internship IITEDV 593B (Spring 2019)
Participant Rsrch Meth ITEDV 535A (Fall 2018)
Prtcpt Rsrch Mthds Prac TchrsTEDV 536 (Fall 2018)
Adv Sec Schl Intrshp Prac TchrTEDV 693B (Spring 2018)
Sec School Internship IITEDV 593B (Spring 2018)
Participant Rsrch Meth ITEDV 535A (Fall 2017)
Prtcpt Rsrch Mthds Prac TchrsTEDV 536 (Fall 2017)
Sec School Internship IITEDV 593B (Spring 2017)
Participant Rsrch Meth ITEDV 535A (Fall 2016)
Sec School Internship IITEDV 593B (Fall 2016)
Independent StudyTEDV 599 (Spring 2016)
Meth+Models/Sec Sch TchnTEDV 530 (Spring 2016)
Sec School Internship IITEDV 593B (Spring 2016)
- Orozco, R. A., Kralovec, H. G., Riitaoja, A., Layne, H., Liu, H., Paavola, H., Orozco, R. A., Kralovec, H. G., Riitaoja, A., Layne, H., Liu, H., & Paavola, H. (2017). Constructing norms and silences on power issues related to diversities displayed in school spaces: Analysis of schools in Finland and the United States.. In Silent Partners in Multicultural Education.
- Kralovec, H. G., & Lunsford, L. G. (2015). Crossing borders on the border: Implementation of a mentoring network. In Mentoring for New Teachers and Principals: The Changing Landscape. Vol 4: Perspectives in Mentoring Series. Information Age Publishing.