Akrum H Tamimi
- Assistant Professor of Practice
Akrum H. Tamimi is a Professor of Practice of the Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering at the University of Arizona (UA). Dr. Tamimi earned a B.Sc. in Civil Engineering from Roger Williams University, RI; a B.Sc. in Biosystems Engineering from UA; a Master in Soil Mechanics and Foundations Engineering from Tufts University, MA; a PhD in Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering from UA. Dr. Tamimi traveled, worked, taught and conducted research in many countries in Africa, the Middle East, Europe and North America. Dr. Tamimi has solid background in engineering, microbiology, mathematics, statistical methods and data analysis, modeling, quantitative microbial risk assessment and programming, including developed skills for number “crunching” to discover trends in data, numerical analysis, problem solving, programing and developing algorithms to solve different scientific research and engineering problems.
Dr. Tamimi is specialized in the development and evaluation of technologies to efficiently separate organic solids from water, disinfect and beneficially reuse organic residuals such as wastewater and industrial liquid sludge, animal manure and the organic portion of municipal solids waste and other types of sludge.
Dr. Tamimi has a registered patent in the area of microbes’ disinfection of organic residuals and has three pending patents. Dr. Tamimi is a registered professional Engineer in Jerusalem, the Middle East and Africa. Dr. Tamimi has published over 25 peer-reviewed papers and over 54 technical reports. Dr. Tamimi currently serves on the Editorial Boards for three journals, has served on review panels for governmental, non-profit and for-profit organizations and companies.
Tamimi, A. H., B. Athamneh, C. P. Gerba, W. Suleiman. 2016. Biosolids Application for Barley Production. Journal of Residuals Science & Technology, Vol. 13, No. 2—April 2016: 153-163.
Tamimi, A. H., S. Edmonds, and C. P. Gerba. 2015. Use of a Hand Sanitizing Wipe for Reducing Risk of Viral Illness in the Home. Food and Environmental Virology. DOI 10.1007/s12560-015-9204-6.
Tamimi, A. H., S. Maxwell, S. Edmonds, and C. P. Gerba. 2015. Impact of the Use of an Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer in the Home on Reduction in Probability of Infection by Respiratory and Enteric Viruses. American Journal of Infection Control.
Abd-Elmaksoud, S., S. K. Spencer, C. P. Gerba, A. H. Tamimi, W. E. Jokela, and M. A. Borchardt. 2014. Simultaneous Concentration of Bovine Viruses and Agricultural Zoonotic Bacteria from Water Using Sodocalcic Glass Wool Filters. Journal of Food and Environmental Virology. 6(2).
Chaidez, C., M. Soto-Beltran, C.P. Gerba, and A.H. Tamimi. 2014. Reduction of risk of Salmonella infection from kitchen cleaning clothes by use of sodium hypochlorite disinfectant cleaner. Letters in Applied Microbiology. 59: 487-492.
Tamimi, A. H., S. Carlino, and C. P. Gerba. 2014. Long-term efficacy of a self-disinfecting coating in an intensive care unit. American Journal of Infection Control. 42 (2014) 1178-1181.
Tamimi, A. H., S. Carlino, S. Edmonds, and C. P. Gerba. 2014. Impact of an Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer Intervention on the Spread of Viruses in Homes. Journal of Food and Environmental Virology. 6(2):140-144.
Gerba, C. P., A. H. Tamimi, S. Maxwell, L. Y. Sifuentes, D. R. Hoffman and D. W. Koenig. 2013. Bacterial Occurrence in Kitchen Hand Towels. Food Protection Trends. 34(5): 312-317.
Lopez, G. U., C. P. Gerba, A. H. Tamimi, M. Kirajima, S. K. Maxwell and J. B. Rose. 2013. Transfer efficiency of bacteria and viruses from porous and nonporous fomites to fingers under different relative humidity. Applied Environmental Microbiology. 79:5728-5734.
Gerba, C. P. S. Maxwell, L. Y. Sifuentes, A. H. Tamimi. 2013. Impact of a disinfecting wipe on bacterial contamination in households Impact of disinfecting wipes on bacteria. Journal of Household and Personal Care Today. 8 (3): 24-26.
Gerba, C. P., A. H. Tamimi, C. Pettigrew, A. V. Weisbrod and V. Rajagopalan. 2011. Sources of microbial pathogens in municipal solid waste in the United States of America. Waste Management and Research. 29:781-790.
Suleiman, W., C. P. Gerba, A. H. Tamimi, R. J. Freitas, A. Al Sheraideh and B. Hayek. 2010. Management practices and biosolids treatment and disposal in Jordan. J. Residuals Sci. Technol. 7 (1):63-67.
Tamimi, A. H, C. Gerba, R. Freitas and N. Al-Hmoud. 2007. Modeling the reduction of fecal coliforms in sludge drying beds. In: Energy and Environmental Protection in Sustainable Development. M. A. Safa, A.H. Tamimi and I. Khatib, eds. Palestine Polytechnic University, Hebron, Palestine. Pp.208-216.
Tamimi, A.H., C.P. Gerba, R.J. Freitas 2007. Characterization of the Quality of Drying Bed Treated Biosolids in Jordan. Journal of Residuals Science and Technology 4 (3), 109–115.
Strelkoff, T. S., Tamimi, A. H., and Clemmens, A. J. 2003. Two-Dimensional Basin Flow with Irregular Bottom Configuration. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering. 129:6(1)
Tamimi, A.H., et al, 2003. Surface Irrigation Parameter Estimation Software. Presented at The Second International Conference on Irrigation and Drainage: Water for Sustainable World – Limited Supplies and Expanding Demand. Sponsored by, United States Committee on Irrigation and Drainage, USCID. May 12 – 15, 2003. Chaparral Suites Resort, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA.
Tamimi – 2003 to 2010: 25 Technical reports and presentations for the IALC – University of Arizona USAID funded project. Available upon request.
Invited Presentations, Short courses and General Consultancies
- California Water Environment Association. Biosolids and Renewable Energy Specialty Workshop. July 19, 2016. Central Contra Costa Sanitary District 5019 Imhoff Pl, Martinez, CA 94553. Presented title: “Using a Dewatering and Dehumidification System to Arrive at Class A Biosolids from Liquid Sludge for Beneficial Reuse”.
- California Association of Sanitation Agencies. Biosolids and Renewable Energy Specialty Workshop. July 20, 2016. Hyperion Wastewater Plant 12000 Vista Del Mar, Playa Del Ray, CA 90293, July 20, 2016. Presented title: “Using a Dewatering and Dehumidification System to Arrive at Class A Biosolids from Liquid Sludge for Beneficial Reuse”.
- AZ Water Seminar. Treatment and beneficial reuse of organic waste: a new concept. Scottsdale, AZ October 2015.
- AZ Water 85th Annual Conference and Exhibition. Presented research entitled “Low Cost Process for the Treatment of Wastewater Sludge to Exceptional Quality, Class A Biosolids”. May 2-4, 2012. Glendale Renaissance Hotel and Spa, Glendale, Arizona, USA.
- Introduction to human health risk assessment. Short course at Palestine Polytechnic University, West Bank. June, 2011.
- The International Environmental and Energy Protection Conference, Palestine Polytechnic University, Hebron, West Bank. Invited Keynote Speaker presenting “Waste Treatment Using Low Cost/Low Energy Requirements in Palestine”, November 9-12, 2009.
- International Arid Land Consortium, The University of Arizona, Sustainable development of Drylands. Two-day short course on Data analysis and statistical experimental design. Held at Royal Scientific Society in Jordan and attended by students, researchers and professionals from around Jordan. March 11 and 12, 2009.
- Invited Keynote Speaker at the Deserts and Desertification: Challenges and Opportunities Conference held at Ben Gurion University, Sde Boker, Israel, 6 – 9 November 2006.
- PA Government Services Inc., Virginia, USA. Consultation for preparation to answer a $16 Million USAID request for proposals for the Water Demand Management tender implemented in Jordan. Assisted in recruiting organizations, universities and research institutions to be partners in the bidding consortium. Assisted in writing the budget and proposal and presented ideas on implementing activities and assessment factors. January 2 – March 5, 2006.
- The Water Efficiency and Public Information for Action Program (WEPIA), Jordan. Developed and Instructed an 80 contact hours Water Demand Management Certification Course on Alternative Water Supply. August 14-28, 2004. Held at Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan and funded by USAID – Amman Mission.
- International Arid Lands Consortium, The University of Arizona, Sustainable development of Drylands in the Middle East and Asia. A ten-week consultation on environmental enhancing activities in wastewater and Biosolids reuse in Agriculture in Jordan. A USAID funded project. May 27, 2003 – August 1, 2003.
- ASAE Annual International Meeting / CIGR World Congress Invited Overview Presentation on “Cooperation Through Education: How the Southern West Bank, Palestine Can Be Developed Through Agricultural Engineering”. July 30, 2002, Chicago, IL. USA.
- Keynote Speaker at the workshop on Modeling in Soil and Groundwater Systems. Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman, January, 2002.
- Irrigation System Model Developer, Agricultural Research Services, USDA, Phoenix, AZ, January 2002 until May 2003.
- Invited Keynote speaker at the United Nations conference on the impact of non-economic issues on sustained Palestinian economic and social development (water and natural resources), Cairo, Egypt, June 20 – 21, 2000.
- Workshop Facilitator, ARD, Burlington, Vermont, USA. West Bank/Gaza Local Governments Project. January 8 - February 1, 2000. Sponsored by USAID.
- Training Consultant, Soil, Water and Environment Center, College of Agriculture, Hebron University, Hebron, Palestine, 1999-2000.
- Statistical Survey design and Statistical Analysis of socioeconomic data, GVC: an Italian NGO, Red Crescent, Hebron, Palestine, 1997.
- Ph.D. Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering - Water Resources Engineering
- The University of Arizona, TUCSON, Arizona, United States
- MODELING TWO-DIMENSIONAL TRANSIENT FLOWIN IRRIGATION BASINS WITH LEVELEDAND NON-LEVELED SOIL SURFACES
- B.S. Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering
- The University of Arizona, TUCSON, Arizona, United States
- M.S. Civil Engineering - Soil Mechanics and Foundations Engineering
- Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts, United States
- Modeling Slurry Wall Excavations of the Redline Subway Line Using a Finite Difference Scheme
- B.S. Civil Engineering - Structural analysis and design
- Roger Williams University, Bristol, Rhode Island, United States
- The University of Arizona (2017 - Ongoing)
- The University of Arizona (2009 - 2016)
- The University of Arizona (2003 - 2009)
- The University of Arizona (2001 - 2003)
- Hebron University (1996 - 2001)
- Self employment - Consultantt (1996 - 2001)
- Hebron University (1996 - 2001)
- Jalal & Sharif Contracting (1985 - 1989)
Licensure & Certification
- Certified Civil Engineer, Engineers Association - Jerusalem Center (1998)
No activities entered.
Intro to Biosystems EngineeriBAT 201 (Fall 2020)
Intro to Biosystems EngineeriBE 201 (Fall 2020)
Intro to EngineeringENGR 102 (Fall 2020)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrBE 455 (Fall 2020)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrBE 555 (Fall 2020)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrCE 455 (Fall 2020)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrCE 555 (Fall 2020)
ThesisBE 910 (Fall 2020)
Engr Anlytc Cmptr SkillsBE 205 (Spring 2020)
Soil Wtlnd Wstewatr ReusBE 458 (Spring 2020)
Soil Wtlnd Wstewatr ReusBE 558 (Spring 2020)
Soil Wtlnd Wstewatr ReusCE 458 (Spring 2020)
Soil Wtlnd Wstewatr ReusCE 558 (Spring 2020)
Intro Engr DesignENGR 102B (Fall 2019)
Intro to Biosystems EngineeriBE 201 (Fall 2019)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrBE 455 (Fall 2019)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrBE 555 (Fall 2019)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrCE 455 (Fall 2019)
Engr Anlytc Cmptr SkillsBE 205 (Spring 2019)
Irrigation Systems DsgnBE 456 (Spring 2019)
Phys Sci for One HealthACBS 564B (Spring 2019)
Intro Engr DesignENGR 102B (Fall 2018)
Intro to Biosystems EngineeriABE 201 (Fall 2018)
Phys Sci for One HealthACBS 564A (Fall 2018)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrABE 455 (Fall 2018)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrABE 555 (Fall 2018)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrCE 455 (Fall 2018)
Soil+Water Rsrcs EngrCE 555 (Fall 2018)
Engr Anlytc Cmptr SkillsABE 205 (Spring 2018)
Phys Sci for One HealthACBS 564B (Spring 2018)
Soil Wtlnd Wstewatr ReusABE 458 (Spring 2018)
Soil Wtlnd Wstewatr ReusABE 558 (Spring 2018)
Soil Wtlnd Wstewatr ReusCE 458 (Spring 2018)
Soil Wtlnd Wstewatr ReusCE 558 (Spring 2018)
Independent StudyABE 299 (Fall 2017)
Intro to Biosystems EngineeriABE 201 (Fall 2017)
Phys Sci for One HealthACBS 564A (Fall 2017)
Independent StudyABE 399 (Spring 2017)
Irrigation Systems DsgnABE 456 (Spring 2017)
Irrigation Systems DsgnABE 556 (Spring 2017)
Irrigation Systems DsgnCE 456 (Spring 2017)
Independent StudyABE 399 (Fall 2016)
No activities entered.