Jerome F Koleski
- Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine - (Clinical Scholar Track)
Jerry Koleski recieved his MD from the University of South Florida and then completed the one of the first Global Health Tracks in Family Medicine at Marshall University. He worked for six years at El Rio Community Health Center (a Federally Qualified Health Center) in Tucson, AZ. He was also voluteer clinical faculty for the University of ARizona Family Medicine residency during those six years.
The Koleski family then worked five years at Hospital Vozandes del Oriente in Shell, Ecuador, on the edge of the Amazon rainforest. Jerry did full spectrum Family Medicine and more: Inpatient and Outpatient Medicine, Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Intensive Care, Endoscopies, Ultrasounds. He also taught Ecuadorian Family Medicine residents from the Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Ecuador.
Jerry then served as a Visiting Professor at Indiana University Family Medicine residency program for one year, then the Koleski family moved on to Partners in Hope in Lolongwe, Malawi, east Africa where he cared for HIV/AIDS patients. The inpatient and outpatient areas were a teaching venue for UCLA Internal Medicine residents.
Jerry joined the Family and Community Medicine faculty at the Uuniversity of Arizona in 2012. He enjoys precepting the Inpatient and Outpatient services, teaching Global Health, being a Primary Care Physician for HIV positive patients in the outpatient clinic. He also teaches in the annual Global Health Course taught at the University of Arizona for the last 33 years by Ron Pust, MD and Tracy Carroll, PT.
Jerry likes being a Family Physician very much, but his real passion is teaching medical students and residents to become great physicians.
- University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, United States
- M.S. Biomedical Engineering
- University of Miami, Miami, Florida, United States
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering
- Purdue University, Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2012 - Ongoing)
- Partners in Hope Medical Centre (2009 - 2012)
- Indiana University (2008 - 2009)
- Hospital Vozandes del Oriente (2003 - 2008)
- El Rio Community Health Center (1996 - 2003)
- Marshall University (1993 - 1996)
- AMES - OMSE Teaching Scholars Program
- University of ArizonaFaculty Instructional DevelopmentOffice of Medical Student Education, Fall 2015
Licensure & Certification
- Family Physician, American Board of Family Medicine (1996)
- Medical Doctor, Medical Boards of West Virginia, Indiana and Arizona (1994)
Border Crossers on the Arizona-Mexico Border: causes of death and types of injuries; Community Health Workers impact on health in low resource settings; rural Family Medicine training both in Arizona and Low and Middle Income Countries (LMIC),
Family Medicine; Global Health; HIV/AIDS; maximizing limited health care resources in under-served communities in Arizona and globally; Clinical Reasoning to pre-clinical medical students;
Global Health Capstone CourseMED 800C (Spring 2023)
Global Health Online IntensiveMED 896O (Spring 2023)
Global Health Intensive CourseMED 896A (Fall 2022)
Glbl Hlth Extern:Hlth&DvMED 891C (Spring 2022)
Glo Hlth:Clin+Comm CareMED 896A (Spring 2022)
Global Health Capstone CourseMED 800C (Spring 2022)
Global Health PreceptorshipMED 891A (Spring 2022)
Glo Hlth:Clin+Comm CareMED 896A (Fall 2021)
Glbl Hlth Extern:Hlth&DvMED 891C (Spring 2021)
Glo Hlth:Clin+Comm CareMED 896A (Spring 2021)
Global Health Capstone CourseMED 800C (Spring 2021)
Global Health PreceptorshipMED 891A (Spring 2021)
Glo Hlth:Clin+Comm CareMED 896A (Fall 2020)
Independent StudyMED 899 (Fall 2020)
Global Health PreceptorshipMED 891A (Spring 2020)
Independent StudyMED 899 (Spring 2020)
Glo Hlth:Clin+Comm CareMED 896A (Fall 2019)
Global Health Capstone CourseMED 800C (Spring 2019)
Global Health PreceptorshipMED 891A (Spring 2019)
Glo Hlth:Clin+Comm CareMED 896A (Fall 2018)
Global Health Capstone CourseMED 800C (Fall 2018)
Global Health PreceptorshipMED 891A (Spring 2018)
- Koleski, J., Aldulaimi, S., & Moran, E. A. (2018). From Dehydration to Fractures: Medical Issues Faced by People Crossing the United States: Mexico Border.. Journal of Immmigrant and Minority Health. doi:10.1007/s10903-018-0827-1
- Koleski, J. (2020, September). Coming Home, More Difficult than Leaving. AAFP Global Health Workshop. Online Conference: American Academy of Family Practice.
- Aldulaimi, S., & Koleski, J. (2019, july). From Dehydration to Fractures: Medical Issues faced by People Crossing the US-MX Border. Grand Rounds: University of Arizona-Department of Family and Community Medicine.More infoAn analysis of patients brought to the ED at University of Arizona South Campus, bills paid by the US Customs and Border Patrol (CBP). Thirty-five percent of patients had musculo-skeletal injuries. Other problems often related to dehydration/ heat stroke/ rhabdomyolysis.
- Koleski, J., & Aldulaimi, S. (2018, August). Refugee Clinic: An Example from Tucson. Arizona Refugee Summit. Phoenix, AZ: Arizona Department of Economic Services - Office of Refugee Reseetlement.More infoDescribed how the Department of Family and Community Medicine at South Campus developed a clinic to give refugees more time with a physician than a normal clinic allowed, and at the same time made the lower volume financially viable.
- Koleski, J. F. (2017, January). Globalization and Other Misconceptions of Global Health. Student Global Health Conference. University of Arizona: UACOM Global Health Track.More infoMy Misconceptions of Global Health before and after I served as an International physician in the clinics and hospitals in Ecuador and Malawi.
- Koleski, J., Johnston, E., & Bias, T. (2017, October). Coming Home: Readjustment when Returning from the Field. AAFP Global Health Conference. Houston, TX: AAFP.More infoDiscussion of readjustment to the passport country after a medium or long term assignment overseas.
- Koleski, J. F. (2016, January). Keynote Address - "So, You Want to be an International Healthcare Worker?". Annual Global Health Forum. UACOM, Tucson, AZ: Global Health Distinction Track - University of Arizona COM.More infoKey note Address for Annual Global Health conference sponsored and run by the UACOM Global Helath Distinction Track"So You Want to be an International Healthcare Worker?" describes what many students think one needs to know to provide healthcare in a low resource setting, based on my eight years of Global Health experience in Ecuador, India and Malawi.
- Koleski, J. F., Aldulaimi, S., & Moran, E. A. (2016, sept/2016). Dehydration, Exposure, Fractures, and Trauma: Issues Faced by Practitioners Caring for Border Crossers on the United States – Mexico Border. AAFP Global Health Worskshop.
- Koleski, J. F., El Rayess, F., & Johnston, E. (2016, Fall). Coming Home: Challenges and Opportunities for the Returning Global Health Physician. AAFP Global Health Workshop 2016. Atlanta, GA: AAFP - American Academy of Family Practice.
- Koleski, J. F. (2015, June). Community Health Outreach in Malawi. CCIH 29th Annual Conference. Arlington, VA: Christian Coalition for International Health.More infoBreakout 1A - Addressing HIV/AIDS to Strengthen Individuals and CommunitiesCommunity Health Outreach integrated into inpatient and outpatient HIV care improves outcomes measured by a decrease in admissions from the free HIV clinic.
- Koleski, J. F., Master, M., Koleski, E. L., & Fielder, J. (2015, October). Tigwirane Manja(We Should Hold Hands):Community Outreach as part of Outpatient and Inpatient Care. AAFP Global Health Workshop. Denver, CO: American Academy of Family Medicine.More infoCommunity Health Outreach integrated into an free HIV clinic in Malawi, Africa seems to increase ARV adherence and reduce inpatient admissions.
- Moran, E. A., & Koleski, J. F. (2015, October). Global Health in Our Own Backyard: Comparing and contrasting global health service in several Arizona sites with more traditional sites abroad. AAFP Global Health Workshop. Denver,Colorado: AAFP.
- Moran, E. A., & Koleski, J. F. (2014, September). Starting a global health track: Learning from each other’s experiences.. AAFP Global Health Workshop. San Diego, CA: AAFP.
- Moran, E. A., Koleski, J. F., & Pust, R. E. (2014, September). Does duration make a difference? The long and the short of global service.. AAFP Global Health Workshop. San Diego, CA.
- Aldulaimi, S., & Koleski, J. (2019, oct). Training Rural Physicians: One Urban-Based Residency Program’s Success Story,. WONCA World Rural Conference.
- Aldulaimi, S., & Koleski, J. (2018, Spring 2018). Family Medicine Residency Rural Rotations. STFM Annual Spring Conference. Washington DC.
- Koleski, J. F., & Aldulaimi, S. (2017, spring). “Starting a Successful Global Health Track at a Family Medicine Residency”.. National STFM Annual Spring Conference.
- Koleski, J. F., Aldulaimi, S., & Kaitlyn, L. (2017, fall). “Refugee Health: Creating a clinic model for the successful integration of refugees into the U.S. healthcare system”.. National AAFP Global Health Workshop..
- Aldulaimi, S. (2016, Sept). Creating a Global Health Track at a Family Medicine Residency. AAFP Global Health Workshop. Atlanta, GA.