Teshia G Solomon
- Associate Professor, Family and Community Medicine
- Director, Native American-Research and Training Center
- Ph.D. Kinesiology and Health Education
- University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, United States
- The Psychosocial Correlates of Cervical Cancer Screening Among Young American Indian Women
- M.S. Health, Physical Education, and Leisure Sciences
- Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma, United States
- B.S. Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- Central State University, Edmond, Oklahoma
- Senior Research Advisor in Health Disparities Research, National Cancer Institute (2012 - 2015)
- Member, Arizona Cancer Center (2009 - Ongoing)
- Director, Oklahoma City Area Inter-Tribal Health Board (2005 - 2007)
- Assistant Professor, University of Texas, School of Public Health (1999 - 2005)
- Faculty member, Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research (1999 - 2005)
- Assistant Professor, University of Oklahoma, College of Public Health (1998 - 1999)
- Research Assistant, Prevention Center for Native American Research (1995 - 1998)
- Research Associate, Program Support Services (1993 - 1994)
- Private Consultant, Tribes, Tribal Organizations and State Health Depts. (1992 - Ongoing)
- Lecturer, University of Oklahoma, College of Public Health - University Center at Tulsa (1992 - 1997)
- Regional Director, American Heart Association (1984 - 1992)
- Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition
- Office of the Honorable Congressman, Raul Grijalva, Spring 2017
No activities entered.
No activities entered.
- Solomon, T. G., Garcia, F., & Cordova, F. M. (2017). What’s Killing our children? Child and infant mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives. Institutes of Medicine.. Institutes of Medicine, 1-9.
- Solomon, T. G., Harris, D. J., Peaches, E., & Yonnie, K. (2017). A Call to Heal. You Tube.More infoDeveloped with AIRCH students to support cross-cultural training and in response to stereotypes of AIAN. Published on the NARTC youtube channel, used in NACP cross cultural training.
- Cunningham, J. K., Solomon, T. A., & Muramoto, M. L. (2016). Alcohol use among Native Americans compared to whites: Examining the veracity of the 'Native American elevated alcohol consumption' belief. Drug and alcohol dependence, 160, 65-75.More infoThis study uses national survey data to examine the veracity of the longstanding belief that, compared to whites, Native Americans (NA) have elevated alcohol consumption.
- Gerald, L. B., Nez, P., Morgan, W. J., Kobernick, A., Solomon, T. G., Liu, A., Bender, B., & Lowe, A. (2017, October). Asthma severity determinants and needs assessment in children living on the Navajo Nation: A pilot study. Navajo Nation Human Research Review Board Conference. Window Rock, AZ: Navajo Nation Human Research Review Board.
- Solomon, T. G. (2017, March 30). Milagritos: The Power to do Great things with Small Efforts in Health Training and Research. Faculty Symposium. University of Oklahoma: College of PUblic Health.
- Solomon, T. G. (2017, May). Data Sovereignty. Regional AIAN Trial Dialogue Conference. Chandler, AZ: NIH All of Us Research Program on Precision Medicine.More infoFacilitation of small group discussion on data sovereignty
- Solomon, T. G. (2017, October 11). NACP Outreach Core. Cancer Prevention and Control Seminar. Tucson, AZ: Arizona Cancer Center.
- Solomon, T. G. (2017, October 17). The Precision Medicine Initiative. 5th Alaska Native Health Research conference. Anchorage, Alaska: Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium and Southcentral Foundation.
- Solomon, T. G. (2017, October 21). Culture is the Cure. Gathering of Good Minds: Engaging Native Americans in Wellness. Palm Desert, CA: University of CA, Riverside.
- Solomon, T. G., Kahn-John, M., Antone, C., & Miguel, F. (2017, February). The Journey of a Message: The Cultural Wisdom Declaration. NARTC Winter Institute. UA Tucson AZ: Native American Research and Training Center.More infoPresentation on the Cultural Wisdom Declaration for NA science.
- Solomon, T. G. (2015, April). Recommendations from Urban American Indians Regarding Recruitment to a Clinical Trial”. Institute of Medicine: Strategies for Ensuring Diversity, Inclusion and Meaningful Participation in Clinical Trials. IOM Roundtable on the Promotion of Health Equity and the Elimination of Health Disparities. Washington DC: Institutes of Medicine.
- Solomon, T. G. (2015, August). Promoting Indigenous Knowledge and Inspiring Indigenous Health Research, Scholarship and Leadership. Association of American Indian Physicians, Annual Conference. Tulalip, WA: Association of American Indian Physicians.
- Solomon, T. G. (2015, July). Conducting Research with Native American Communities. NACP Summer Research Conference. Westin La Paloma, Tucson, AZ: Partnership for Native American Cancer Prevention.
- Solomon, T. G. (2015, March). Cancer Research and Training. Mayo Clinic Spirit of EAGLES program.. National Cancer Institute. Shady Grove, MD: Mayo Clinic/NCI.
- Solomon, T. G. (2015, May). Promoting Indigenous Knowledge and Inspiring Indigenous Health Research, Scholarship and Leadership. Native American Interest Group, Veterans Administration and Indian Health Service, National Webinar. Webinar: Indian Health Service.
- Solomon, T. G. (2015, October). Promoting Indigenous Knowledge and Inspiring Indigenous Health Research, Scholarship and Leadership. Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Kennedy Krieger Institute: CFAR Group Meeting. Bethesda, MD: Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Kennedy Krieger Institute.
- Solomon, T. G., & Kelly, C. G. (2015, October). Using Social Media Platforms to Increase American Indian Student Engagement in STEM Fields. Native American Research Centers for Health Annual Meeting at the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science. Washington, DC: Indian Health Service/National Institute of General Medical Science.
- Solomon, T. G., & Solomon, T. G. (2015, March). NARTC: Weaving Research, Teaching and Service. NARTC Winter Institute, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
- Solomon, T. G., Gachupin, F. C., Bea, J. W., & Koithan, M. S. (2015, March). Cancer care disparities among Native American populations. UA College of Nursing Health Equity Research Seminar Series..
- Solomon, T. G., Koithan, M. S., Flores, M., & Pool, N. (2015, October). Conducting Research with Native American Communities”.. American Association of Cancer Educators International Conference. La Ventana Resort, Tucson, AZ: American Association of Cancer Educators.
- Solomon, T. G., & Kelly, C. G. (2016, February). Words of Wisdom, Native American Perspectives on the Health Professions: A Journal..More infoInterviews were conducted with Native American role models (health and science researchers and health care providers). Videos were reviewed for key quotes that were meaningful to a team of NA doctoral students to encourage persistence and progression in education. The quotes, were attached to pictures of the role models and images from NA artists and others. The journal has blank pages to allow the students to document their feelings, progress and journey through their academic career.
- Solomon, T. G., Smith, N., & Perez, J. S. (2015, august). Plants that Heal: Conserving Indigenous Knowledge.More infoThis booklet helps conserve Indigenous plant knowledge by providing a photo of a healing plant with its common name, traditional language name, scientific name, geographic planting zone, description, and medical uses presented in the Indigenous story teller method.