- Assistant Specialist, Research Data Management
Currently (September, 2017) in the role of the Research Data Management Specialist in the Office of Digital Innovation and Stewardship (ODIS), I focus on supporting academic research in the areas of data management planning, research workflows, reproducibility, data and software curation, archiving and sharing, and open science. Formerly, I was a CLIR postdoctoral fellow in the Data Management Services group at Johns Hopkins University, investigating issues around software preservation to support research reproducibility and reuse. I've also been active in software development in academia and in industry where I've worked on projects in the areas of geographic information systems, groundwater modeling, and incident management.
No activities entered.
No activities entered.
- Oliver, J. C., Rios, F., Kollen, C. E., & Hickson, B. (2019). Data Science Support at the Academic Library. Journal of Library Administration, 59(3), 241-257. doi:10.1080/01930826.2019.1583015
- Rios, F., & Fearon, D. (2019). Data Curation Primer: Microsoft Access Databases. Data Curation Network.More infoA primer to inform data curation of datasets in the Microsoft Access database format. This effort is part of the Data Curation Network project.
- Rios, F., & Rios, F. (2019). Software Citation Implementation Challenges. ArXiv.More infoThe main output of the FORCE11 Software Citation working group(https://www.force11.org/group/software-citation-working-group) was a paper onsoftware citation principles (https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj-cs.86) published inSeptember 2016. This paper laid out a set of six high-level principles forsoftware citation (importance, credit and attribution, unique identification,persistence, accessibility, and specificity) and discussed how they could beused to implement software citation in the scholarly community. In a series oftalks and other activities, we have promoted software citation using theseincreasingly accepted principles. At the time the initial paper was published,we also provided guidance and examples on how to make software citable, thoughwe now realize there are unresolved problems with that guidance. The purpose ofthis document is to provide an explanation of current issues impactingscholarly attribution of research software, organize updated implementationguidance, and identify where best practices and solutions are still needed.[Journal_ref: ]
- Radio, E., Rios, F., Hickson, B. J., Oliver, J. C., & Wallace, N. A. (2018). Manifestations of metadata structures in research datasets and their ontic implications. Journal of Library Metadata, 17(3-4), 161-182. doi:10.1080/19386389.2018.1439278
- Rios, F. (2018). Incorporating Software Curation into Research Data Management Services: Lessons Learned. International Journal of Digital Curation, 13(1). doi:10.2218/ijdc.v13i1.608
- Meyerson, J., Vowell, Z., Hagenmaier, W., Leventhal, A., Roke, E. R., Rios, F., & Walsh, T. (2017). The Software Preservation Network (SPN): A Community Effort to Ensure Long Term Access to Digital Cultural Heritage. D-Lib Magazine, 23(5/6).
- Rios, F., Almas, B., Contaxis, N., Jabloner, P., & Kelly, H. (2017). Exploring Curation-ready Software: Use Cases. Open Science Framework.
- Rios, F., Almas, B., Jabloner, P., Contaxis, N., & Chassanoff, A. (2017). Report: Making Software Curation-ready. Open Science Framework.
- Katz, D. S., Niemeyer, K. E., Smith, A. M., Rios, F., Anderson, W. L., Boettiger, C., Hinsen, K., Hooft, R., Hucka, M., Lee, A., Loffler, F., & Pollard, T. (2016). Software vs. data in the context of citation. PeerJ Preprints.
- Rios, F. (2016). Preserving and Sharing Software for Transparent and Reproducible Research: A Review. Open Science Framework.
- Rios, F. (2016). The Pathways of Research Software Preservation: An Educational and Planning Resource for Service Development. D-Lib Magazine, 22(7/8).
- Rios, F., & Almas, B. (2016). Preserving Digital Scholarship In Perseids: An Exploration. Zenodo.
- Rios, J. F., & Renschler, C. S. (2016). A New Combined Assessment of Mixed Uncertainty in Spatial Models: Conceptualization and Implementation. Transactions in GIS, 21, 661-682.
- Rios, F. (2015). A new combined uncertainty and sensitivity assessment of spatial models with object-based features. Doctoral Dissertation.
- Ye, M., Rios, J. F., & Shi, L. (2014). A New ArcGIS-Based Software of Uncertainty Analysis for Nitrate Load Estimation. Groundwater, 52(5), 649--650.
- Rios, F. (2013). Preliminary Study of Nitrate Levels in Groundwater at Lime Lake, NY. Zenodo.
- Rios, J. F., Ye, M., Wang, L., Lee, P. Z., Davis, H., & Hicks, R. (2013). ArcNLET: A GIS-based software to simulate groundwater nitrate load from septic systems to surface water bodies. Computers and Geosciences, 52, 108 - 116.
- Wang, L., Ye, M., Rios, J. F., Fernandes, R., Lee, P. Z., & Hicks, R. W. (2013). Estimation of nitrate load from septic systems to surface water bodies using an ArcGIS-based software. Environ Earth Sci, 70(4), 1911--1926.
- Bazargan, S., Heinig, N. F., Rios, J. F., & Leung, K. T. (2012). Electronic transport in tin(IV) oxide nanocrystalline films: Two-medium transport with three-dimensional variable-range hopping mechanism for the ultrasmall nanocrystallite size regime. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 116(8), 4979-4985.
- Rios, J. F., Ye, M., & Wang, L. (2011). uWATER-PA: Ubiquitous WebGIS Analysis Toolkit for Extensive Resources -- Pumping Assessment. Ground Water, 49(6), 776--780.
- Rios, F. (2010). A GIS-based model for estimating nitrate fate and transport from septic systems in surficial aquifers. Masters Thesis.
- Ebrahimi, M., Rios, J. F., & Leung, K. T. (2009). Dissociative adsorption and thermal evolution of acetic acid on Si(100)2×1: Surface-mediated formation of ketene and acetaldehyde from unidentate and bidentate acetate adsorbates. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 113(1), 281-289.
- Rios, F. (2020, February). Sustaining Software Preservation Efforts Through Use and Communities of Practice. In International Digital Curation Conference.
- Boehm, R., Rios, F., & Blake, M. (2019, May). Distributed, dynamic, accessible: Cooperative planning for a community-created data rescue toolkit. Research Data Access and Preservation Summit. Miami, FL.
- Lassere, M., Rios, F., Rios, F., & Lassere, M. (2019, November). Seminar on Born-Digital Media Preservation. World Digital Preservation Day. University of Arizona.More infoBest practices for disk imaging, capture and emulation in order to preserve and access digital materials stuck on aging born-digital media. Part of the SPN FCoP grant project
- Rios, F. (2018, August). Data Management for Undergrads: Approach and Experience. Mountain West Data Librarian Symposium. Boulder, Colorado.
- Rios, F. (2018, February). Incorporating Software Curation into Research Data Management Services: Lessons Learned. 13th International Digital Curation Conference.
- Rios, F. (2017, April). Software Preservation in Research Data Management. Research Data Access and Preservation Summit. Seattle, WA.
- Rios, F. (2017, June). Preserving Research Software in Support of Scholarship. NDSR Enrichment Session. George Washington University: National Digital Stewardship Residency Program.More infoInvited talk
- Rios, F. (2017, May 1, 2017). Integrating Software Curation Into Existing Data Management Workflows. PresQT Workshop. University of Notre Dame, South Bend Indiana.
- Rios, F., Altman, M., Johnson, R., & Spies, J. (2016, December). Building tools and services to support research software preservation and sharing. CNI Fall 2016 Meeting. Washington, DC.
- Rios, F. (2018, November). Open Science Framework: A Tool for Collaboration, Project Management, and Publication. University of Arizona IT Summit. Tucson, AZ.
- Rios, F. (2017, April). Software Preservation in Research Data Management. Research Data Access and Preservation Summit. Seattle, Washington.
- Rios, F. (2017, February). A Research Software Management Toolbox for Data Management Specialists. International Digital Curation Conference. The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK..
- Herman, J., Usher, W., Whealton, C., Hadka, D., xantares, ., Rios, F., bernardoct, ., Mutel, C., & Engelen, J. (2017, August). Salib/Salib: Joss Paper. Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/ZENODO.598306
- Usher, W., Herman, J., Hadka, D., xantares, ., bernardoct, ., Rios, F., Mutel, C., & Engelen, J. (2016, February). SALib: Improvements to Morris sampling and Sobol groups/distributions. Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/ZENODO.46450