Scott E Klewer
- Professor, Pediatrics
- Professor, Cellular and Molecular Medicine
- Professor, Medicine
- M.D. Medicine
- University of AZ, Tucson, Arizona, United States
- 2020 Regional Top Doctor
- Castle Connolly, Spring 2020
- 2019 Regional Top Doctor
- Castle Connolly, Spring 2019
- 2018 Regional Top Doctor
- Castle Connolly, Spring 2018
- 2017 Regional Top Doctor
- Castle Connolly, Spring 2017
- COM-Tucson Educator of the Year Award (Years 3-4)
- COM-Tucson, Fall 2016
- Peggy M. Barrett Endowed Chair for Congenital Heart Disease in Adults
- University of Arizona Sarver Heart Center, Spring 2014
No activities entered.
Pediatrics CardiologyPED 850E (Fall 2020)
Pediatrics CardiologyPED 850E (Fall 2019)
Pediatrics CardiologyPED 850E (Fall 2018)
Cardiac Ultrasound EchoPED 850D (Fall 2017)
Pediatrics CardiologyPED 850E (Fall 2017)
Research (Pediatric CardiologyPED 800C (Fall 2017)
Research (Pediatric CardiologyPED 800C (Spring 2017)
Pediatrics CardiologyPED 850E (Fall 2016)
- Combs, D., Edgin, J. O., Klewer, S., Barber, B. J., Morgan, W. J., Hsu, C. H., Abraham, I., & Parthasarathy, S. (2020). OSA and Neurocognitive Impairment in Children With Congenital Heart Disease. Chest, 158(3), 1208-1217.More infoChildren with congenital heart disease (CHD) have an increased risk of neurocognitive impairment. No prior studies have evaluated the role of OSA, which is associated with neurocognitive impairment in children without CHD.
- Farr, S. L., Klewer, S. E., Nembhard, W. N., Alter, C., Downing, K. F., Andrews, J. G., Collins, R. T., Glidewell, J., Benavides, A., Goudie, A., Riehle-Colarusso, T., Overman, L., Riser, A. P., & Oster, M. E. (2020). Rationale and design of CH STRONG: Congenital Heart Survey To Recognize Outcomes, Needs, and well-beinG. American heart journal, 221, 106-113.More infoStudies of outcomes among adults with congenital heart defects (CHDs) have focused on those receiving cardiac care, limiting generalizability. The Congenital Heart Survey To Recognize Outcomes, Needs, and well-beinG (CH STRONG) will assess comorbidities, health care utilization, quality of life, and social and educational outcomes from a US population-based sample of young adults living with CHD.
- Kops, S. A., Andrews, J. G., Klewer, S. E., & Seckeler, M. D. (2020). Effect of comorbid neuropsychiatric disorders on children and adolescents undergoing surgery for moderate and severe congenital heart disease. Journal of cardiac surgery, 35(11), 3048-3052.More infoChildren and adolescents with congenital heart disease (CHD) are at an increased risk of neuropsychiatric disorders (NPDs). The purpose of this study is to determine how a comorbid NPD affects hospital outcomes and costs for CHD patients undergoing cardiac surgery.
- Kurepa, D., Boyar, V., Zaghloul, N., Beachy, J., Zaytseva, A., Teng, D., Cooper, R., Klewer, S., & Amodio, J. (2020). Structured Neonatal Point-of-Care Ultrasound Training Program. American journal of perinatology.More infoPoint-of-care ultrasound (POC US) has been increasingly used by intensive care physicians. Growing use of POC US necessitates defining distinct clinical indications for its application, as well as structured POC US training programs. Homogeneous approach to POC US education combined with rigorous quality assurance should further enable POC US to become standard-of-care clinical tool. This study aimed to present the first, innovative, and structured POC US program in neonatal-perinatal medicine field. In addition, we reviewed the availability of the POC US training programs across different medical specialties.
- Seckeler, M. D., Bliss, A., Rischard, F., & Klewer, S. E. (2020). Early bioprosthetic tricuspid valve stenosis due to size mismatch in Ebstein anomaly-Successful transcatheter treatment. Journal of cardiac surgery, 35(11), 3138-3140.More infoPatients with congenital heart disease are surviving well into adulthood thanks to advances in medical and clinical care. We present a patient with Ebstein anomaly who underwent surgical tricuspid valve replacement and suffered early valve stenosis due to her unique anatomy. This case highlights the importance of the "unnatural" anatomy that can be encounter in this challenging patient population.
- Yell, J., Boyer, P. J., Bernardi, A., Klewer, S., & Seckeler, M. D. (2020). Improvement in Pulmonary Vascular Resistance After Relief of Fontan Circuit Obstruction. The Journal of invasive cardiology, 32(10), E254-E257.More infoPatients with single-ventricle congenital heart disease undergo staged surgical palliations leading to a final Fontan procedure. After Fontan, cardiac index (CI) is primarily determined by pulmonary vascular resistance (PVR). Lower Fontan pressure has been achieved after relieving obstruction within the Fontan circuit, but to date the effect on PVR has not been quantified. We hypothesized that there would be significant reduction in PVR after relief of obstruction within the Fontan circuit; the purpose of this study is therefore to describe the change in PVR after relief of Fontan obstruction.
- Kern, M. C., Janardhanan, R., Kelly, T., Fox, K. A., Klewer, S. E., & Seckeler, M. D. (2019). Multimodality imaging for diagnosis and procedural planning for a ruptured sinus of Valsalva aneurysm. Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, 30450-2.
- Seckeler, M. D., White, S. C., Klewer, S. E., & Ott, P. (2019). Transjugular Transseptal Approach for Left Ventricular Pacing Lead in an Adult With Criss-Cross Heart. JACC. Clinical electrophysiology, 5(8), 998-999.
- Allen, L. A., Adler, E. D., Bayes-Genis, A., Brisco-Bacik, M. A., Chirinos, J. A., Claggett, B., Cook, J. L., Fang, J. C., Gustafsson, F., Ho, C. Y., Kapur, N. K., Klewer, S. E., Kociol, R. D., Lanfear, D. E., Vardeny, O., & Sweitzer, N. K. (2018). When the VEST Does Not Fit: Representations of Trial Results Deviating From Rigorous Data Interpretation. CIRCULATION-HEART FAILURE, 11(4).
- Seckeler, M. D., Thomas, I. D., Andrews, J., Meziab, O., Moe, T., Heller, E., & Klewer, S. E. (2018). Higher Cost of Hospitalizations for Non-cardiac Diagnoses in Adults with Congenital Heart Disease. PEDIATRIC CARDIOLOGY, 39(3), 437-444.
- Seckeler, M. D., White, S. C., Jenkins, J., & Klewer, S. E. (2018). Treatment of tricuspid regurgitation and para-ring leak in tetralogy of Fallot with oversized SAPIEN 3 valve-in-ring implantation. Journal of cardiac surgery, 33(9), 541-544.More infoA 40-year-old female with previously repaired tetralogy of Fallot had recurrent severe tricuspid regurgitation with a para-ring leak after annuloplasty ring placement. Because of multiple prior sternotomies and co-morbidities, she was not felt to be a surgical candidate. Percutaneous placement of an oversized SAPIEN 3 valve-in-ring in the tricuspid position successfully treated the regurgitation and para-ring leak.
- Colombo, J. N., Samson, R. A., Valdes, S. O., Meziab, O., Sisk, D., & Klewer, S. E. (2017). Decreased false-positive adolescent pre-athletic screening with Seattle Criteria-interpreted electrocardiograms. CARDIOLOGY IN THE YOUNG, 27(3), 512-517.
- Seckeler, M. D., Lawson, E., Barber, B. J., & Klewer, S. E. (2017). Percutaneous management of complex acquired aortic coarctation in an adult with tetralogy of Fallot and pulmonary atresia. Annals of pediatric cardiology, 10(3), 295-297.
- Ashfaq, A., Seckeler, M., Pophal, S., Rhee, E., Ryan, J., Rao, R., Klewer, S., & Nigro, J. J. (2016). Integration of Hybrid and Single Ventricle Rehabilitation Techniques to Treat a Neonate After Iatrogenic Mitral Injury. World journal for pediatric & congenital heart surgery, 7(4), 498-501.
- Seckeler, M. D., Thomas, I. D., Andrews, J., Joiner, K., & Klewer, S. E. (2016). A review of the economics of adult congenital heart disease. Expert review of pharmacoeconomics & outcomes research, 16(1), 85-96.
- Seckeler, M. D., Moe, T. G., Thomas, I. D., Meziab, O., Andrews, J., Heller, E., & Klewer, S. E. (2015). Hospital Resource Utilization for Common Noncardiac Diagnoses in Adult Survivors of Single Cardiac Ventricle. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CARDIOLOGY, 116(11), 1756-1761.
- Boyer, P., Seckeler, M., Andrews, J., & Klewer, S. (2019, MAR 12). IMPACT OF INSURANCE COVERAGE AND PHYSICIAN COMMUNICATION ON LOSS TO FOLLOW-UP IN ADULTS WITH CONGENITAL HEART DISEASE: RESULTS OF THE CONGENITAL HEART SURVEY TO RECOGNIZE OUTCOMES, NEEDS, AND WELL-BEING (CH STRONG). In JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF CARDIOLOGY, 73, 570-570.
- Kylathu, R., Kuo, P. H., Barber, B. J., Klewer, S. E., Bernas, M. J., Behan, S., Moedano, L., Mustacich, D., & Witte, M. H. (2019, September). Whole Body Lymphangioscintigraphy and SPECT-CT in Infants and Children with Lymphatic Congestion after Surgical Repair of Complex Congenital Heart Disease. In 27th World Congress of Lymphology Abstract Booklet.
- Myles, R., Kylathu, R., Witte, M. H., Seckeler, M., & Klewer, S. E. (2019, September). The "Failing Fontan" Challenge to the Cardiolymphologist: Case Analysis. In 27th World Congress of Lymphology Abstract Booklet.
- Takamatsu, C., Andrews, J., & Klewer, S. (2019, JAN). REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH OF FEMALES WITH CONGENITAL HEALTH DEFECTS. In JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE, 67, 65-65.
- Parthasarathy, S., Abraham, I. L., Hsu, C., Morgan, W. J., Klewer, S. E., Barber, B. J., Edgin, J. O., & Combs, D. (2018, Fall). Obstructive sleep apnea is a novel risk factor for neurocognitive impairment in children with congenital heart disease. In Circulation, 138(Suppl 1), 14956.
- Seckeler, M., Thomas, I. D., Andrews, J., Meziab, O., Heller, E., Moe, T., & Klewer, S. (2015, MAR 17). HIGH RESOURCE UTILIZATION FOR NON-CARDIAC HOSPITAL ADMISSIONS FOR ADULTS WITH CONGENITAL HEART DISEASE. In JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF CARDIOLOGY.
- Seckeler, M., Klewer, S. E., Andrews, J. G., Bernardi, A., & Colombo, J. (2019, November). Marked Decline in Exercise Performance for Adolescents with Fontan Physiology – An Analysis of the Pediatric Heart Network Fontan Public Data Set. American Heart Association 2019 Scientific Sessions. Philadelphia, PA.
- Combs, D. A., Fernandez, V., Barber, B. J., Morgan, W. J., Hsu, C., Andrews, J. G., Parthasarathy, S., Klewer, S. E., & Seckeler, M. (2020, November). Obstructive Sleep Apnea Is Associated with Cardiac Dysfunction In Children With Congenital Heart Disease. 2020 American Heart Association Scientific SessionsAmerican Heart Association.
- Kops, S. A., White, S., Klewer, S. E., Andrews, J. G., & Seckeler, M. (2019, May/Spring). ECMO in Adults with Congenital Heart Disease Analysis of a National Discharge Database. Annual International Symposium on Heart Disease in the Adult. Skamania, WA: OHSU.
- Klewer, S. E., Seckeler, M., White, S., Andrews, J. G., & Gilpatrick, M. (2018, November). Cost of childhood chest pain evaluation is higher in emergency departments with fewer pediatric resources. American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference. New Orleans: American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Zahedieh, S., Seckeler, M., Andrews, J., Klewer, S. E., Scherer, K., Daines, C. L., & Barber, B. J. (2015, Fall). Regional and Racial Variation in Hospitalization Costs in Patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition. Washington, DC: AAP.