Juan M Arias
- Assistant Agent, Agriculture Natural Resources
- M.S. Agriculture Education
- University of Arizona, Arizona, United States
- B.S. Public Health- Community Health
- Long Beach State, Long Beach, California, United States
- Search For Excellence National Finalist
- National Association County Agriculture Agents. The San Carlos Apache Livestock/Equine Resource Program was developed and implemented to address local needs for the Tribe and their ranching communityhttps://www.nacaa.com/admin/components/custom/members/awardapplications/view-application?id=0519f922-3232-4a31-9268-a507cc709cf9, Spring 2021 (Award Finalist)
- Heart of Extension Award
- UArizona Cooperative Extension, Winter 2020
No activities entered.
No activities entered.
- Elliott-Engel, J., Arias, J. M., Moore, J. D., Farella, J., Elliott-Engel, J., Arias, J. M., Moore, J. D., & Farella, J. (2021). A Framework For Indigenous Identity Inclusion in Positive Youth Development: Proclaimed Ignorance, Partial Vacuum, and the Peoplehood Model. Journal of Youth Development, 16(4), 1-25. doi:https://doi.org/10.5195/jyd.2021.1059More infoIndigenous youth are systemically underserved by 4-H and other positive youth development organizations. Many underserved First Nation communities in the U.S. could greatly benefit from programs that foster youth thriving, however these programs tend to be ineffective in creating culturally reflective spaces for Indigenous participants. In this article we argue that the Peoplehood Model should serve as a unifying model for the inclusion of Indigenous identity, and that cultural humility be firmly integrated into program design and assessment. We also propose that, to support Indigenous youth thriving, PYD practitioners must overtly create a ‘partial vacuum’ that supports youth in creating program context and thriving. Keywords: Indigenous thriving, identity inclusion, positive youth development, 4-H, youth development programming
- Speirs, K., Dixon, A. L., Arias, J. M., & Downer, B. (2020). Listening to Podcasts with Young Children: A Parent Guide. UA Extension.More infoPodcasts can be a great alternative to watching TV or playing video games. Podcasts are like radio shows, but you listen by streaming or downloading episodes to a phone, tablet or computer. Listening to a podcast with your children is a great way to learn and have fun together. While you listen, ask them questions, talk about what is happening, and explain what they are listening to.
- Dixon, A., Arias, J. M., Bawden, M. K., Curley, D., Orr, E., & Farella, J. (2021, October). Fostering Resilience Through Extension. 2021 Annual Arizona Cooperative Extension Conference. Virtual: University of Arizona Cooperative Extension.More infoFostering Resilience Through ExtensionThere is a growing movement highlighting the relationship between Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) – such as abuse, neglect, divorce - and longer-term impacts such as disease, homelessness, and incarceration. Communities can make a difference with programming that prevents ACEs and mitigates the effects of ACEs in individuals. This session will share examples of FCHS, 4-H and Agriculture and Natural Resources programming that foster resilience in children and adults. This will be an interactive session to uncover and expand the contributions of Extension to this movement.
- Farella, J., & Arias, J. M. (2021, Spring). Cultural Relevance in Programming – Strategies for Practice. Positive Youth Development Academy. Virtual: Program Leaders Working Group - Advancing the 4-H Thriving Model Task Force.More infoThe cultural awareness breakout session will focus on practical identity inclusion in PYD programming. The hosts will introduce some essential elements of identity and culture and discuss practical program adaptation in different communities. Attendees are encouraged to share their own experiences and join a focused discussion on creating safe and inclusive spaces, and preparing volunteers to be effective within different cultural settings.
- Farella, J., Orr, E. R., Arias, J. M., Bawden, M. K., Dixon, A. L., & Curley, D. L. (2021, October). Panel Discussion: Fostering Resilience at Extension. Annual Conference. Zoom: University of Arizona Cooperative Extension.
- Moore, J. D., Farella, J., & Arias, J. M. (2020, October). Applying the Peoplehood Model: A Model for Assessing Indigenous Identity Inclusion in Extension Programming. University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Conference. Virtual: University of Arizona CALS Cooperative Extension.More infoSite and program level assessment. This tool is designed to do three things: (1) provide a short working review PYD staff should complete in order to better understand Indigenous groups in their area, (2) provide some basic resources/things to look for when working with First Nation governments, and (3) provide a site/program level assessment tool to critique the cultural inclusiveness and relevance of programming initiatives. Our goal here is to highlight important themes of identity that should be incorporated to make our PYD work meaningful to all stakeholders.
- Arias, J. M. (2019, Decemeber). San Carlos FRTEP programs. Indian Agriculture Council. Las Vegas: FRTEP.
- Arias, J. M. (2019, March). San Carlos Apache Tribe FRTEP programs. Hualapai Tribe Spring Horituclture Workshop. Hualapai Tribe( Peach Srings) AZ: FRTEP Hualapai.
- Arias, J. M. (2019, October). Food Sovereignty In San Carlos Apache Tribe. Native Waters. reno, nevada: Extension.
- Lopez, G. U., Lonchar, T., Yee, K., Hanson, H., Rivas, E. L., Ruiz, N. E., DeVeau, S. N., Vasovski, S., Johnson, K. R., Sekaquaptewa, S. K., Kaye, Y., Josytewa, S., Arias, J. M., Muwanas-Arias, N., Kinlicheenie, K. L., Contreras, S., Munoz, E., Smith, D., Parra, A. P., , Lester, D. F., et al. (2020, August). 4-H STEM YOUniversity: Robotics CoderZ Virtual Camp Fall 2020. Annual University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Conference. Tucson, AZ.
- Alves, J. L., Arias, J. M., Dixon, A. L., Speirs, K., & Sekaquaptewa, S. K. (2019, August). Connecting Intergenerational Families with Culturally Relevant Early Literacy Programs. Extension Conference. Tucson, AZ: UA Cooperative Extension.
- Arias, J. M. (2019, August). Reconnect Tribal Youth to Agriculture and Natural Resources: An ESIP Project. Extension Confrence. Tucsin, AZ: UA Cooperative Extension.
- Arias, J. M., & Greene, E. (2019, August). Creating Educational Opportunities for San Carlos Apache Ranchers: An ESIP Project. Extension Confrence. Tucson, AZ: UA Cooperative Extension.
- Arias, J. M., & Greene, E. A. (2020. AZ 4-H Ag at Home Series: “Pumpkin: Planting Basics”. (3:19). online video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUtYup2nPSIMore infoDirector (10%)
- Greene, E. A., & Arias, J. M. (2020. AZ 4-H Ag at Home Series: “DIY: Watering Container”. (4:43). online video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzNk-8fZ7Y4&feature=youtu.beMore infoDirector (10%)
- Greene, E. A., Brawley, N. Q., Wright, A. D., Arias, J. M., & Beard, J. (2021, August). The How and Why of Calf Castration. Fast Track video publication. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCssuTQrxdsMore infoThis video was made in response to needed resources for tribal ranchers in Arizona for a common ranching practice, castration of calves. This educational video discusses the reasons for castration as well as using a veterinarian to demonstrate two common methods ranchers use, with extra explanations on the anatomy and the processes.
- Arias, J. M. (2020, September). Pumpkin: Planting Basics. https://extension.arizona.edu/az-4-h-ag-home.More infoA quick, 3-minute video to show you how to get your own pumpkins planted and growing.
- Arias, J. M. (2020, september). DIY Watering Container. https://extension.arizona.edu/az-4-h-ag-home.More infoDIY Watering Container: do it yourself video for youth and adults to the garden at home
- Moore, J. D., & Arias, J. M. (2019, August). Arizona 4-H Shooting Sports Webpage. Arizona 4-H State Programs Website. https://extension.arizona.edu/arizona-4-h-shooting-sports-education
- Greene, E. A., & Arias, J. M. (2018, February). San Carlos Horse Workshop. Peridot Rodeo Grounds, Peridot, AZ..More infoGreene, E.A. and J. Arias. 2018. San Carlos Horse Workshop, Peridot Rodeo Grounds, Peridot, AZ. (February 17, 2018) Nutrition (E.A. Greene) Biosecurity (E.A. Greene) Vaccines (E.A. Greene) Q & A (E.A. Greene)